Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Don't Be a Dumb-Ass 1 year 3 months ago #30927

• PaulD
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 29
I’m 11stone 6lbs (160lbs in your money) and 5ft 7inches tall and I can get my 79 KZ1300 on the stand easily 
My garage floor is covered with 1/2” plywood and where the rear wheel sits when the bike is on the center stand I’ve screwed a 1” thick piece of plywood to the floor. All I do is push the rear wheel onto the raised piece of plywood then the bike rolls onto the stand easily. I NEVER use the main stand when I’m out and about (because I physically can’t) but I do cable tie the front brake on as an extra safety measure just in case some f***wit bumps into it. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Don't Be a Dumb-Ass 1 year 3 months ago #30928

• dcarver220b
  • dcarver220b's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 181

I certainly wouldn't want to argue your bipod / tripod theory if the center of gravity was centered over the 3 points of contact, but it's not. When they design the side stand, they take into account the effort to right the bike from the side stand and they make the side stand leg of a length to minimize the effort required. All the bikes I've ridden except maybe the CBX's, I was always able to right the bikes by sitting on the seat and just pushing up with my left leg. It's a habit thing. Most of my riding was on Kawasaki triples and my habit was to throw my helmet on my head, stand the bike up and start it, then sit on the bike and do up the helmet strap while the bike warmed up.
Second point is that in order to keep the strength in the hinge joint of the side stand, the locking position or over center position of the hinge is almost straight. Being a single hinge to support the weight as opposed to the double hinge of the center stand it's just weaker by nature. And being more straight than over center lends it to fold up more easily in my view.
You and I could argue this point until we are blue in the face. You just have to go with what you feel more comfortable with. For me it's the center stand. I did a lot of riding with the girl friend on the back and she used to climb on the bike and fiddle/ wiggle around getting settled and then I would climb on and get settled, then roll off the center stand and away we would go. Never had an upset.
Actually, we fully agree on CS use being preferred. I've actually tipped a bike over from SS when 'throwing the leg over the seat' and catching the seat instead. It weren't pretty as they say... 
Wonder if that's why CHP motor officers mount from opposite SS side?

Don't Be a Dumb-Ass 1 year 3 months ago #30929

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
For what it's worth:

and or

and or

A piece of 4X4 between the centre-stand and the rear wheel works too !
and or
Front Brake lock :

1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
Attachments:

Last edit: by scotch.

Don't Be a Dumb-Ass 1 year 3 months ago #30930

• McZee
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 42
We’ve all done something similar.I once dropped a ZZR14 because I hauled it off the centre stand and slipped on the garage floor. My own fault, because I tried to move the bike while  wearing baffies.        PS.  Baffies are Scottish slippers.

Don't Be a Dumb-Ass 1 year 3 months ago #30945

• Jafsteph
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 21
WOW very lucky

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds