Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

tyres/tires 3 years 8 months ago #27483

• CWB
  • CWB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 11
I was forced to have a look on Dr. Giggle about motor bike tyres, safety relative to their age.

A was on my other bike (2001 BMW R1100RT) three weeks ago and travelling going down the Gillies range which has 120 sharp bends starting at 3.500 feet down to sea level .

I do this fairly often at a speed relative to my age just to keep in form . BUT, this time is was drizzling rain and the rear tyre was moving around a bit which rang some alarm bells so much slower I went until two corners from the bottom and both front and rear wheels let go and the bike pulled up about 30 feet on the wrong side of the road and I followed . The bike was a bit busted but not too bad and I lost a bit of bark with gained a few bruises but all good.

The tyres were two years old on the bike, correct pressure and wear, but looking at the side wall stamp they were 12 years old. The explanation goes like this: The soft middle section on motor bike tyres apparently goes hard/harder with time thereby reducing the contact patch with the bitumen. Sort of going from say 250mm contact patch down to a credit size patch. Not a bad description I thought.

Anyway I then looked at the KZ which is not on the road yet. It has brand new tyres...19 years old!!

Previously I was not aware of these age issues /bike checks so for those riders new into the game like me, this information should be a warning to look into the age of tyres fitted ( so called new ) and be sure you know what is being fitted to be safe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stocktoy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds