• Page:

TOPIC:

Who's going to save H-D 3 years 10 months ago #26924

• tackelhappy
  • tackelhappy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Who's going to save H-D 3 years 10 months ago #26927

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
An interesting video for sure. I remembered some of the story from the Reagan years but never paid attention to it. The latest with Donald J and the tariffs on steel and aluminum - wouldn't have thought it could up the cost by $2200 per unit. Ouch !!
If I were a CEO right now of a company in the category of non-essential services, I'd be head scratching right now. If the company isn't in dire straits right now, it certainly will be by the time we get out of this pandemic. When we finally get our freedom back, the loose change in our pockets will be accounted for in needs, not wants. Going to restaurants, sports games, or any recreation that has an associated charge will likely fall by the wayside and may not recover any time soon. People are going to consider alternatives to public transportation and if I were Harley Davidson I would be putting on my thinking cap and looking at new markets that evolve from this pandemic situation.
If people get paranoid about public transit, what could replace it? Micro cars maybe? How could we incorporate those in to a market where the average vehicle is 2500 lbs? Lane ways for micros? Maybe we could dedicate the HOV lanes for the micros since carpooling will likely be a thing of the past. You could park 3 micros in the space provided for 1 North American vehicle. The major highways in Toronto Ontario as an example can handle 40,000 cars per hour. If we went to micros, maybe 80,000 cars an hour. That would certainly help with the lack of infrastructure and maybe relieve some of the traffic problems.
In a typical family, the husband and wife go their separate ways to get to and from work. A couple of micros for commuting and a family car for other required travels would work. Some ingenuity in the insurance market would help sell the possibility. Maybe insure the driver for whatever he's driving and not the individual vehicles. I always thought that would make sense. I'd love to have a fleet of vehicles for different experiences but I'll be damned if I'll pay out $10,000 a year to insure them all.

The motorcycle market has been falling off for years along with golfing. This pandemic will make that situation worse. Before you try and sell any more motorcycles, you need to energize the market again. Millennials will try anything that looks like fun. Riding around on a rainy day on a motorcycle wouldn’t cut it. They’re wimps, not Harley riders that live to tell about their attempt at the Iron Butt run they did last summer.
The only thing that’s going to pull Harley Davidson out of the ditch will be some creative thinking and a diversification in their market strategy. They tried to enter a market for motorcycles under $10K and it didn’t work. Very poor attempt. It wasn’t the price of a Harley that was the problem, it was the market attitude and the Millennials. Give them a self driving car with an onboard computer to work or play from while they travel from one place to another, and they will be all over it.
Anyway, my 2 cents.

Who's going to save H-D 3 years 10 months ago #26928

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
For Canadians: This video was shot in Kamloops, B.C. where 1 week ago one of the C.A.F. Snowbirds demonstration team crashed, killing Capt. Jennifer Casey, a public affairs officer with the Snowbirds, and pilot Capt. Richard MacDougall, sustained serious injuries in the crash, but they are not considered life-threatening.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Who's going to save H-D 3 years 10 months ago #26930

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Harley should just got back to making slow rev Hay Bailing Machines, which is where they came from................and obviously should have remained at.

I guess the engines in many of their bikes now could easily be removed and recycled as Hay Bailers, as there will always be a need for them, so do still have a small value........................

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Who's going to save H-D 3 years 10 months ago #26982

• rdurost
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
Never a fan of the Hogs, and in most cases their riders either. Two years ago I found myself in a truck headed for Mt Rushmore with a "friend" who turned out to be a professional full-time alcoholic and general nutcase. Unknown to either of us it happened to be Bike Week at Sturgis. It confirmed every thought I've had about Harleys (and Corvettes for that matter.) Harley guys aren't "motorcyclists" in the year 2020. Maybe in 1965 they were. In 2020, they are either orthodontists with too much disposable income, or 1% ers with something to prove. Or both.

Harleys are expensive, crude, slow, poorly-engineered, ill-handling, and noisy for the sake of being noisy.

Mind you, there are few things in the world that sound better than a V-twin with straight pipes. It would just be nice if some professional motorcycle engineers would be given a crack at making them good, too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil, strate6

Who's going to save H-D 3 years 10 months ago #26998

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
Attachments:

Last edit: by strate6.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds