Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Personal Project Rebuild 4 years 3 days ago #26610

• Kawlover
  • Kawlover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Need some help. Reading the repair manual, I gather bike has a alternator (right side engine) which is larger than sub-alternator (left side). Hope I got these names correctly. My issue is (see pic) I believe left side sub is fried. Where can I order and what's proper name. Any ideas?
WBOYD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Personal Project Rebuild 4 years 3 days ago #26611

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
So you have fried the stator. The smaller stator on the left side will be harder to find available. I would suggest you find an alternator rebuild facility. There are many that can rewind your stator. If you wanted to do it yourself that's also possible. You would need to locate a source for the stator wire in the same diameter and wrap the wire by hand in the same manner that it is wrapped now. Quite rewarding to do actually.
A fried stator is typical of a failed regulator so you really must check the regulator before replacing the stator. Ultimately, you should replace the regulator with a MOSFET based regulator. In your case, the regulator for the left side is a slave regulator to the right side regulator (the master), so I'm not sure exactly how that would all work.

Personal Project Rebuild 4 years 3 days ago #26612

• Kawlover
  • Kawlover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey Kawboy, appreciate the response. Not sure if the is bad, it looks bad compared to alternator. Is it possible to check it off the machine? And I thought it would be hard the sub alternator. And I will replace the other items too during reassembly. Thanks again!
WBOYD

Personal Project Rebuild 4 years 3 days ago #26613

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

Kawlover wrote: Hey Kawboy, appreciate the response. Not sure if the is bad, it looks bad compared to alternator. Is it possible to check it off the machine? And I thought it would be hard the sub alternator. And I will replace the other items too during reassembly. Thanks again!

The testing for the alternator stators is in the Main Service Manual on page 354. If you don't have a copy of the manual, it's available for download from the Home page of this website.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds