• Page:

TOPIC:

Maintaining the Operating Temperature 4 years 1 month ago #26202

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
Should be riding in a few weeks but the temperatures will be COOL ! Rode well into Oct. last year. My limit is 10c and for short rides only. With my spin-on oil filter adapter/oil-cooler installed early in '19 I noticed that in these cool temperatures, the temp. gauge( and oil temperature) would barely reach the low end of the operating range.
Came up with this a few weeks before the bike came off the road, last year and it worked so well I'll be using it again, until "Normal" temperatures preclude the need for it and layers of clothing under a snowmobile outfit, scarves and glove liners !
Can be "deployed" and adjusted to cover any amount of the radiator. If it's not recognizable; it's a vehicle window shade. The perforations intended to allow some light to pass through does allow some air to reach the radiator. It works remarkably well. Self retracting and unhooks in seconds when not required.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by scotch.

Maintaining the Operating Temperature 4 years 1 month ago #26204

• Greg Davis
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 13
Absolutely a great idea for the colder climate crowd, Here in Arizona most ride year round with only a few instances where cold delays
being out and about on our bikes. Never the less still a great way to side step the cold issue.

Maintaining the Operating Temperature 4 years 1 month ago #26206

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
Hey Greg ! Spent many Januarys in Eloy when 100+ of us would Invade that drop zone (Skydive Arizona) to cram in as many jumps as possible from many different aircraft types - just to break up an otherwise frigid Canadian winter. "Normal" temperatures became a thing of the past and many of us stopped going when we discovered it was colder there then from where we came from! Water pipes were freezing !
Normal jumps (13,000') and 1 minute+ of free-fall and virtually no warm-up relief., once down. Some painful memories of HALO jumps -21,000' -40 F. or C.
2 full minutes of F/F and you were done for the day ! Nowadays I have an aversion to cold weather and do whatever I can to minimize it's affects......by hibernating in the comfort of a warm shop, with medicinally approved anti-freeze beverages !
The radiator curtain provides really easy and effective control of the engine temperature and this is when the heat off the engine is most welcome! To get a satisfactory oil temp. during these cooler rides I slip a foam beer-cozy over the fully exposed oil filter.
Of course - come July and August that same engine heat will be a curse, but what can you do?
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Maintaining the Operating Temperature 4 years 1 month ago #26209

• Greg Davis
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 13
Hello Scotch!! Don't know much about the sky diving although I've passed Eloy and seen the jumpers.
On a side note I was in school at Red Deer college for advance CNC training for a couple semesters
That was the coldest place I've ever been, Great country great people!! Flew my F33A bonanza to get there
got grounded by the Chinook winds just as I crossed the border. My instructor became a good friend, Spent many weekends fishing for walleye
on a nearby river with him, miss those days!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds