Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Damaged liner 4 years 2 months ago #25731

• ogri211
  • ogri211's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 8
I have just stripped my engine down to check it out, I knew when I got it that the small chain that drives the water pump needed replaced as it had snapped. On removing the barrels it was noticed that the bottom of no4 liner had a big chunk missing where it looks like the snapped chain has fowled. My question is has anyone managed to have a liner replaced, can you get them or would it need to be out another set of barrels, or is it look out for a replacement..
Z1300 A4,Z900 RS,Suzuki GT750A, Buell S1 Lightning, Royal Enfield Diesel. And Z900A4 on the rebuild.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Damaged liner 4 years 2 months ago #25732

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
I had to get a liner replaced on mine. It's entirely possible- the liners can be pressed in and out, and new o-rings can even be gotten. You'll have to pull a good liner from a set of parts bores, though, and then be sure your piston diameter matches up with the new bore.

Then you'll need a decent motorcycle/machine shop willing to swap the bores, then deck the head afterward. In short? It's doable, but involved.

(I've got an old bore set lying around from when I did it. There's at least 4 bores that are probably decent you could use, but shipping wouldn't be cheap. That sucker is heavy. Let me know what you think.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ogri211

Damaged liner 4 years 2 months ago #25733

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Another option- There are companies like L.A. Sleeve that specialize in cylinder liners (sleeves) and can reproduce a sleeve for you. Might be worth an email.
www.lasleeve.com/

www.lasleeve.com/info/contact-us

I have heard that if the cylinder block is placed in an oven at 300-325 F and left standing upright to heat soak, the liners will fall out ( or maybe better said, the cylinder block will fall down leaving the cylinders disengaged from the cylinder block.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ogri211

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Damaged liner 4 years 2 months ago #25736

• ogri211
Thanks for the input I'm thinking the way to go is to replace the liner with with a new one if it can be got or made I have been offered another engine but would rather stick with the one I've got as I know it is a low mileage one and apart from that small chain snapping it seems to be in very good condition if I got second hand bores I would probably be looking at new pistons and 6 rebores not a cheap option also my bores have such little wear you can still see the home marks I will ask around I am a member of several forums in the U.K. To see if anyone manufactures them.
Z1300 A4,Z900 RS,Suzuki GT750A, Buell S1 Lightning, Royal Enfield Diesel. And Z900A4 on the rebuild.

Damaged liner 4 years 2 months ago #25737

• ogri211
I have managed to press out the liner no problem and I have located a new one from Sweden which I have bought for £100 including delivery , also I can get the orings from Z1300.de, so it looks as if I am sorted OK thanks for the input.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.751 seconds