Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

First Run of 2019. Z1300 / KZ1300 Northumberland UK 4 years 10 months ago #24290

• strate6
  • strate6's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
First run of the season for me on my 1979 KZ1300 (USA Import) I bought last year, with Dave on his 1980 Euro Spec Z1300.
Very rare to get a dry weekend day here in Northumberland UK, but we managed it today somehow !

It was great to be on a 1300 again after many years and interesting to see and feel the differences between the 2 bikes as we swapped over for spell.

The main visual differences between the 2 include fuel tank size (larger Euro model), handlebars, throttle cable route, rear mudguard / fender (deeper on Euro model) Instrument panel and more chrome parts on the Euro model...........and no doubt more.........

Location is on the A68 North in Northumberland, about 60 miles south of Edinburgh. Fantastic biking roads.

Pete F
UK (or whats left of it)
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by strate6.

First Run of 2019. Z1300 / KZ1300 Northumberland UK 4 years 10 months ago #24292

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Good photos,Pete. Did the bike run without problems?
I like the smaller tank and shorter rear fender of the US spec bikes. What I’m not sure about, not having ridden either version, is the higher/wider bars. What’s your opinion?

First Run of 2019. Z1300 / KZ1300 Northumberland UK 4 years 10 months ago #24294

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I see both bikes are stock - I like that. I agree with biltonjim about the tanks: in this case smaller is better. But for longer trips I'd be happy with a large tank. I suppose there is much greater need for it here than in the UK. I'd imagine that huge tank would make the bike top heavy when full, in comparison.
I wish we could go for a ride together. I'd like to see how my bike would look in this crowd - with the black theme twist and the smallest peanut shape tank.

First Run of 2019. Z1300 / KZ1300 Northumberland UK 4 years 10 months ago #24295

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

biltonjim wrote: Good photos,Pete. Did the bike run without problems?
I like the smaller tank and shorter rear fender of the US spec bikes. What I’m not sure about, not having ridden either version, is the higher/wider bars. What’s your opinion?

The higher wider bars work well for me as I have a back injury so its best I sit as upright as possible on any bike.........especially a 1300

Pete F
UK (Brexit Party are the kings)

First Run of 2019. Z1300 / KZ1300 Northumberland UK 4 years 10 months ago #24296

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

StanG wrote: I see both bikes are stock - I like that. I agree with biltonjim about the tanks: in this case smaller is better. But for longer trips I'd be happy with a large tank. I suppose there is much greater need for it here than in the UK. I'd imagine that huge tank would make the bike top heavy when full, in comparison.
I wish we could go for a ride together. I'd like to see how my bike would look in this crowd - with the black theme twist and the smallest peanut shape tank.

I rode both bikes on the day and both were equally as good and enjoyable to ride.
Dave has Progressive Springs in the front of his Euro spec 1300 so it feels very planted on the road anyway.
You really don't notice the larger tank when riding or stationary and as it only takes 5 liters or so more petrol, it would be hard to notice the extra weight above the 330kg this bike is already. Its also more practical for longer range trips.
I do like the look of the larger tank, as I think it adds to the huge mass of the bike and its engine.

Pete F
UK (Brexit party rule).

Last edit: by strate6.

First Run of 2019. Z1300 / KZ1300 Northumberland UK 4 years 10 months ago #24298

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248

I do like the look of the larger tank, as I think it adds to the huge mass of the bike and its engine.

Actually this was my initial impression as well, when I saw these bikes for the first time. No other popular production bike has a similar square big gas tank, and I agree - it adds to the total impression of looking at a huge mass on two wheels. The word 'muscle bike' comes to mind. It reminds me of the Münch Mammoth, and that's exactly what I thought of them. But it also makes the bikes look kind of square overall. It creates uniqueness, but at the same time some awkwardness in my eyes. But that's just looking at it with an artistic eye (unless loving cubism). With a more 'mechanical eye', bigger definitely translates into awesomeness. To me, a small peanut tank makes the bike look slick and faster overall, as it is closer to the idea of being streamline, while bringing the massive engine to the foreground at the same time for the mechanical awe.

Well, that's enough for today's morning philosophical musings, and the bottom line is - I love the looks of the KZ1300 in whatever form or shape they come. I think I just should have one of each! L0L

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds