• Page:

TOPIC:

USA Muscle Cars..........Not KZ Related ! 5 years 3 months ago #22642

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
Yep Pete, I share your passion for American muscle cars from the 60s & 70s too. In fact most of the "bread & butter" American cars from that era too. You can keep your exotic V10s & V12s ...nothing sounds better than a pig-iron American V8 IMO. I've been to the US twice & on both occasions was quite disappointed to see a proliferation of Japanese / Korean imports instead of the home market cars though. 50% of the cars seemed to be V8 pickups with fruity exhausts so that made up for it ;)
In fact when I customised my 13 I was inspired by American muscle cars. I did own an American pick up truck about 25 years ago (an ex-US airbase International 4x4 with a 5.4 litre V8 & unusually for an American car, manual transmission) but I've yet to own a muscle car, but I keep looking & dabbling with the idea :)
Only dead fish go with the flow

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

USA Muscle Cars..........Not KZ Related ! 5 years 3 months ago #22648

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89

Kawboy wrote: ... Good choice with the DD13 in the Freightliner. Are you happy with that engine package Frank??...

Very happy with the DD13. It's Mercedes badged as it has Merc electronics. Most of these trucks have 8.3 Cummins in them.

I actually bought the truck at a Hot Rod auction several years ago. Had been trailer shopping and had no idea what I was going to pull a 25,000 pound trailer with. Truck had 46k miles and ALL the bells and whistles. I paid less than a new Diesel Pickup. Options include: DD13 (which is derated to 450hp/1500tq so the Allison will survive), Air ride cab, Air ride seats, Satilite TV, Rear Bench Seat with electric fold out to a Bed, dump bed, carpeted bed (who in their right mind orders the bed with carpet and a dump bed?) and a fiberglass bed cover.

I ditched the bed carpet and swapped the bed cover for an Aluminum one. Had the sound system re-done. Had a new console built for it (Sub-Woofer, 4 cup holders and a safe for the Desert Eagle). I built a proper hitch for it (Pintle Hook).

...... And drive the snot out of it. I've put over 100,000 miles on it. Not having detailed history I had absolutely ALL the fluids/filters changed early on. Other than that, the only maintenance out of the norm was a replacement of the gauge cluster (the CPU in the cluster died). Have not even had to do brakes on it yet.

The trailer is setup specifically for Sprint Cars. Carries 3 cars, push vehicle and spares. Has car lift and engine hoist. Cabinets for everything including spare engines. It was another "Used" purchase, but works out great for us. The road cars are TIGHT between the cabinets. There are no cabinets the back 5' or so - so the Sprint Car rear tires clear easily - front of the Sprint Car is pretty narrow. Only thing I wish for is AC.

The Lotus is tight, I think the SLC is worse...

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds