Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kawasaki 1300 -- Why? 5 years 1 week ago #23607

• propav8r
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 33
Even though I'm a noob, I'll answer.

I've ALWAYS like weird stuff. My first foray into gearhead-dom was with 1970s Volvos. At first, I just wanted to get mine running good. Then I decided to make it faster. Built a turbo setup out of the jumkyard (This was in 2010 with a 1979 Volvo 244) and broke quite a few hearts with it. That evolved into building a DY programmable fuel injection system for the car, bigger turbos, T5 transmissions, and so on. The car went though a number of iterations over the years, and I had a number of other Volvos in the same time period.

A few years ago, I just got burned out on cars. Working on them all the time just to get to work had sapped all the enjoyment out of it. I actually gave up working on them altogether for awhile, but I was starting to go stir-crazy sitting in the house.

I had always liked bikes, but never really considered owning one. I decided that I might as well learn a new trick, so I picked up a basketcase '78 Goldwing for a song. I rebuilt it and customized it to my liking, and then proceeded to ride the wheels off it.

While I was doign that, I started to learn about all the weird, boundary-pushing work that companies do with motorcycles...Yamaha's V-Boost, the 6 cylinder behemoths of the '70s, Honda's 6-cylinder moto GP bike, the 20,000 RPM CB250RR, the list goes on and on.

I've never been one to have a dream car...but I quickly began putting together a mental list of dream bikes. The best part was that they were actually attainable! CBX, KZ1300, RE-5, H2...I'm now lucky enough to own or have owned all of them.

As for the KZ1300, I think the thing that strikes me most is just the presence of the machine. It's a HUNK of motorcycle! Before I purchased mine, I had not actually seen one in person. The minute I sat on it, I knew that it was the bike for me. Riding it has only confirmed that sentiment.

It's big, it's weird, it's powerful, and it's got a face only a mother could love. All wins in my book.
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kawasaki 1300 -- Why? 5 years 1 week ago #23609

• biltonjim
  • biltonjim's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 240
Interesting.
Regarding the six cylinder CBX, that bike is probably one a lot of us would like to own. However, they are becoming almost unattainable for many in terms of price. What is the condition of yours?

Kawasaki 1300 -- Why? 5 years 1 week ago #23610

• BigSix
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 221
When I was between 15 and 18 years old I could just afford a 50cc motorcycle. Got lots of comments from people with the 80cc bikes which were much faster.

The only answer to that: the mighty zed.

And as Pete F mentioned. because it does not really make sense. But a lot of fun.

Holger
Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe

Kawasaki 1300 -- Why? 5 years 1 week ago #23611

• propav8r
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 33

biltonjim wrote: Interesting.
Regarding the six cylinder CBX, that bike is probably one a lot of us would like to own. However, they are becoming almost unattainable for many in terms of price. What is the condition of yours?

I overpaid for mine given the condition it's in I think. I paid $4,500 for it in May of 2018. It had been sitting up since about 2000. It was stored in a drafy shed in a coastal climate, so the paint has suffered a bit. It's not terrible, but it's not great either.

It does run (on starter fluid) but has a number of oil leaks from old gaskets. It's going to take some significant mechanical work to get roadworthy again.

It's not good. It's not bad. It's a rider.

Given that it's not a time capsule, I'm probably going to do some mild, but reversible, customization. The pro-link bikes are also not worth nearly what the twin-shock ones are.
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim

Kawasaki 1300 -- Why? 5 years 1 week ago #23613

• biltonjim
  • biltonjim's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 240
Whilst acknowledging the appeal of the twin shock CBX, I think Honda did a great job of making the bike into a sports tourer. The bags and fairing are handsome , and that magnificent engine is still visible in all it’s glory.
Your CBX will make an interesting stable mate for the KZ.

Kawasaki 1300 -- Why? 5 years 3 days ago #23659

• BigSix
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 221
I'd like to add one other thing why a Z1300: If you meet the owner of another Z1300 he (mostly, ehs-owners are very very rare) will probaly be a good guy, enjoy beer, other nice motorycyles like the famous CBX.

Meeting the others is always very interesting, especially if they are from far away (which is why I enjoy this forum so much)

cheers, Holger
Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil, biltonjim

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds