Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Fuel Valve - Petcock 1 year 4 months ago #30913

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
I picked up a Pingle fuel valve for a Kawasaki H2 triple and installed it. Had no end of trouble with the disc face in the valve destroying the rubber seal disc with the 3 holes in it. The chrome plating on the disc was a little rough and it kept pulling at the rubber seal disc, destroying it. Pingle sent me out 3 seal discs on 3 different occasions and I was unable to keep a seal disc in it for more than 3 rotations of the valve. I lapped the suspect disc face to smooth out the surface thinking that that would cure it. Nope. 
Hope you have better luck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fuel Valve - Petcock 1 year 4 months ago #30916

• dcarver220b
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 181
Been running a Pingle for 2+ years now..
No problem, no leaks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: zed_thirteen

Fuel Valve - Petcock 1 year 4 months ago #30917

• dcarver220b
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
The following user(s) said Thank You: zed_thirteen

Fuel Valve - Petcock 1 year 4 months ago #30918

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Each of these taps have their pluses and minuses.
The Pingle, as it clearly shows in the photograph, is very short from the bottom of the fuel tank ,, and therefore allows a big enough head/ pressure from the fuel tank to the carbs to keep the fuel bowls full. That's good. But the tap requires to be turned on and off every time the engine is stopped and started. If not, and the float valves in the carbs don't seal properly, at minimum there will be fuel on the engine and garage floor, and at worst, fuel will trickle down # 1 inlet manifold into the cylinder.
The two taps from the English suppliers are more like the original and so are opened and closed thru' engine vacuum - engine not running -fuel tap closed -start engine- engine vacuum opens fuel valve..
But, because they are quite long , relative to the Pingle, routing the fuel to the carbs is a bit of a challenge. . The fuel line can't be allowed to drop below the level of the carb float bowls., because there is not enough gravity, pressure/ head to keep the bowls full.
Scotch came up with a good fuel line routing to solve this
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada

Fuel Valve - Petcock 1 year 4 months ago #30919

• dcarver220b
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
tackelhappy is correct that running a Pingel requires rider to remember to shut valve off else possible cylinder filling and possible hydraulic lock and or flooding crankcase with gas. DAMHIK.

....and the Pingel has a weird on/off/reserve position with on full CCW, reserve CW 'somewhere between on and off'. The first time I hit reserve, hadn't done my homework, actually starved the engine of fuel (back roads, thankfully) where I was able to figure the 'correct' position for Reserve. There are no indents, so it's like playing a violin not a piano..

Fuel Valve - Petcock 1 year 4 months ago #30920

• PaulD
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 29

The two taps from the English suppliers are more like the original and so are opened and closed thru' engine vacuum - engine not running -fuel tap closed -start engine- engine vacuum opens fuel valve..
But, because they are quite long , relative to the Pingle, routing the fuel to the carbs is a bit of a challenge. . The fuel line can't be allowed to drop below the level of the carb float bowls., because there is not enough gravity, pressure/ head to keep the bowls full.

The tap from Z Power has the outlet facing backwards as opposed to pointing directly at the frame so there’s no need to bend the delivery hose en-route to the carbs. Plus being a diaphragm type there no chance of fuel flooding the carbs/engine/garage floor 

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds