Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

float height set up 2 years 6 months ago #29861

• Miller
  • Miller's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi ,I have a 1979 Z1300 and when I changed the oil I had noticed that there was a lot of petrol in it.I was told that this had to do with the float heights not being right.I was wanting to know if it was an easy job to do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

float height set up 2 years 6 months ago #29863

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
EASY ?  It's all relative.........to your experience.  Read the manual and you'll determine this for your self.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Miller

float height set up 2 years 6 months ago #29864

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137

Hi ,I have a 1979 Z1300 and when I changed the oil I had noticed that there was a lot of petrol in it.I was told that this had to do with the float heights not being right.I was wanting to know if it was an easy job to do.
Be aware that it isn't just a question of float height or I should say fuel shut off level. The O-rings around the brass body of the float valve can perish and no amount of float adjustment will stop petrol flowing through a broken O-ring.  If you replace the O-rings, make sure to choose a material that is suitable for modern fuel composition (ethanol). I think Viton are sutable but don't take my word for it - do your own research.

As for float adjustment - just search this forum You will find a few photos that have been marked up as to where the fuel level should be and how to measure it - and lots of questions about what measurement the float should be - you cannot just set the float to be so many millimeters away from the carb body on these as the measurement has to be done using gravity and a clear tube from the drain point on the bowl turned back up to the side of the carb body and the level should be between 6.5 and 8.5mm below the bottom edge of the upper carb body. See image H16 and table H7 on page 170 of the manual
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy, Miller

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds