• Page:

TOPIC:

Float pillar repair 2 years 11 months ago #29154

• zed_thirteen
  • zed_thirteen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
After slowly destroying my center carb more and more trying to remove one of the low speed jets. I have an exact fit screwdriver for the task but the brass just tore out on this one (and others but they were successfully removed). I drilled the jet and then tried to remove it with an extractor - and then the extractor broke deep in it's tower   
I then drilled the brass manufacturing plug from the opposite side of the jet and tries to drift the broken extractor out - but it didn't work - just made it worse.
I ordered a spare from evil bay - the best I could find from 3. The dealer had not included any pictures of the open bowl side of the carb. So I asked if there were any pictures of the underside available and whether or not the jets had already been butchered by a P.O.
Dealer replied that all jets and valves had been removed so I bought it.  The slow speed jets hadn't been removed but I managed to get them out.  I think the reason there was no photo of the bowl side was because one of the float hinge pillars was broken!  So I set about bodging a repair.
I cautiously dressed the broken casting in my CNC mill by hand. Drilled and tapped the center (slightly off but never mind!) to M3 then installed and fettled a brass M3 standoff. I'm quite pleased with the result 

1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Float pillar repair 2 years 11 months ago #29155

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
+1 for great work. 
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Float pillar repair 2 years 11 months ago #29160

• Neville
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 75
Very good work! - those float pivot pins can be a real pain to remove and I've always worried that the pillar will break.
The following user(s) said Thank You: zed_thirteen

Float pillar repair 2 years 11 months ago #29180

• Jafsteph
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 21
Good repair had to do one on xs1100
The following user(s) said Thank You: zed_thirteen

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds