Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Air filter installation question 3 years 5 months ago #28161

• ClintsMotorcycles
  • ClintsMotorcycles's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello,

I have 2 Voyagers, a 84 and 85. I bought both bikes from the same person about a month or so ago. On the 84, the upper and lower airbox was on the bike as well as an old and crusty air filter. On the 85, the lower air box was there, but no upper and no air filter.

I ordered and received 2 new air filters (OEM) as well as an upper air box (used from Ebay). I spent HOURS getting the upper air box and the rubber grommets between the upper box and the fuel bodies installed. What a pain in the butt. I have no clue why the previous owner took the upper air box off. Although I would just as soon go with air pods if I could find them anyplace.

On the 84, there was a wedge, made out of wood that pushes the air filter element up, I guess to make a seal to the upper box. If I do not use that wedge, the air filter does not seal on the upper box. I looked at an online parts manual and did not see any wedge type part. I assume that the factory would not supply a wood wedge, but maybe a plastic one? With the wedge, the air filter element seems to seal fine to the upper box.

Is there supposed to be some sort of wedge underneath the air filter element or am I missing some part(s)?

Thanks for any advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Air filter installation question 3 years 5 months ago #28171

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Going from memory here - doesn't the air box have a built in 'wedge' that forces the filter up when you push it in (can't remember as it's been a while since I had my filter out). The parts fiche doesn't show a separate 'wedge' piece.

Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Air filter installation question 3 years 5 months ago #28173

• ClintsMotorcycles
  • ClintsMotorcycles's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Yes, the airbox does have a built in wedge. That is there is kind of a ramp on the bottom of the airbox that gets higher on the right hand side of the bike. However, after pushing the filter in, the right side of the filter seems to be tight and sealed but the left side kind of hangs down about 1/4" or so. The wood wedge on the other bike pushes up the left side of the filter to make a tight seal Maybe I am missing a part that is not obvious to me. The filters that I bought are genuine Kawasaki OEM and they look like the filter that I took out of the other bike.

I guess what I am going to do is just make a wedge like the other bike has and go with that for now.

Thanks for the reply.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds