Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Does the DFI automatically compensate for changes in the exhaust ? 3 years 4 months ago #28136

• ClintsMotorcycles
  • ClintsMotorcycles's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello,

Does the DFI automatically compensate for changes to the exhaust, air filters and whatever? If not, then will the bike run lean if I went with an aftermarket exhaust or a high flow air filter?

Thanks for any insight.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Does the DFI automatically compensate for changes in the exhaust ? 3 years 4 months ago #28137

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
The DFI is a speed density fuel injection system. It does not compensate for any changes in the exhaust. Based on throttle position, rpm, manifold pressure, engine and air temperature, the computer selects a "fuel ratio" and applies based on the fuel map.
Mass airflow with O2 would compensate automatically if it was the system, but it's not.
Remapping the chip would be the best way to go but would require a lot of work.
Fooling the system by altering the throttle position indication will help compensate the fuel mixture and that "could" be done with some onboard monitoring the exhaust with a wideband O2 and tinkering with the throttle position sensor.
That's the best I have to offer.
KB
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ, ClintsMotorcycles

Does the DFI automatically compensate for changes in the exhaust ? 3 years 4 months ago #28138

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
As Kawboy said it won't compensate because of fixed parameters in the ECU. You won't do any harm anyway as they run rich as standard. Check spark plug colour after any modifications anyway. You can richen the fuel mixture by fitting an adjustable fuel pressure regulator & upping the pressure by a few psi, or to lean the mixture off you can add a resistor in parallel to the air temp sensor to fool the ECU into thinking the ambient air temp is higher, it therefore leans off the mixture.
Only dead fish go with the flow
The following user(s) said Thank You: ClintsMotorcycles

Does the DFI automatically compensate for changes in the exhaust ? 3 years 4 months ago #28139

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Bet you wished you had carbs now !!!!
Mind they are crap too, but far more adaptable.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Last edit: by strate6.

Does the DFI automatically compensate for changes in the exhaust ? 3 years 4 months ago #28140

• ClintsMotorcycles
  • ClintsMotorcycles's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
The jury is still out on that. I am kind of impressed with the DFI. These bikes sat outside for who knows how long in the rain, snow and ice and yet fired right up after draining the turpentine out of their tanks, flushing the tanks, replacing the fuel feed and return lines, putting in new batteries and replacing the fuel filters. If they were carb bikes I would probably still be trying to get them all in synch after cleaning and rebuilding them.

Does the DFI automatically compensate for changes in the exhaust ? 3 years 4 months ago #28141

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Having owned both DFi and Carb model Z1300's over the years, its very true what you say about the DFi being a much better bike to start than the carb model and it is also smoother and a more progressive ride in my opinion.

Being old skool, I just love the simplicity of carbs..................and have lived with their quirks for a long time now............but must admit in recent years people like Scotch have come up with some pretty impressive fixes and mods for them, so they are a little easier to live with now.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds