TOPIC:

Fuel Spillage From Tank Flap.......Issue ! 4 years 8 months ago #24889

• strate6
  • strate6's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
I am sure someone over the years posted a fix for this issue on this wonderful site, but I cannot find it............

OK, so I fill the tank on my KZ1300 with fuel...........but not fill right upto the neck, just below the neck with the bike on the main stand.
Next I ride the bike and all ok............but then stop after a few miles and put the bike on the side stand...........and fuel runs heavily from Tank Flap area.
Not good.
So far I Have carried out the following to rectify this.

Cleaned top surface of main hole in tank which main rubber seal sits on when the flap is closed.
Cleaned flat rubber seal on flap and checked no splits or perishing............all ok.
Replaced the 2 x O Rings on the flap between the threaded holes in the tank and the under side of the flap itself, along with the 2 x plastic washers which go under the head of each M5 screw.
Checked vent pipe / hole is ok.............all clear and functioning as it should.

Despite all this, petrol still leaks leaks out when the bike is on the side stand with anything over 3/4 of a tank.
The next stage is to start stripping the whole flap ??

If anyone out there has had this issue and found a fix or knows how to resolve it, I would appreciate any help ?

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by strate6.

Fuel Spillage From Tank Flap.......Issue ! 4 years 8 months ago #24890

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
The vent tube seal has caused some grief in the past. Does yours look like this?

Z1 parts fuel cap vent tube seal

Fuel Spillage From Tank Flap.......Issue ! 4 years 8 months ago #24891

• Daro
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 78
Hi Pete, yeah i know this problem. In my case when the fuel tank was warming up from the engine, the fuel was gushing out of the vent pipe like crazy under the bike, also from the hole where the key goes in. I have rebuild the bottom part of the cap to stop that, unfortunately i don't have detail photos of that. Now the vapor pressure cannot push the fuel up because the hole to the venting mechanism is so large that the fuel cannot stay up there because its gravity. It may not be the solution you like but for me it works, also to make that it was a lot of mucking about, yeah i don't even know if id go this rout again. Also to see if fuel still comes out thru the venting system i have build the small trap for it. Here some pix.
Darek

Attachments:

Fuel Spillage From Tank Flap.......Issue ! 4 years 8 months ago #24893

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
The inner drum of the key lock of the cap can be removed - very gently with a very thing screwdriver (the latch/key holding it is in the middle in the pic) if you depress it (very small tiny spring there behind it). There is an o-ring sitting on the drum that can be replaced - it seals the drum from leaking gasoline through the lock.
You must be very careful when disassembling the fuel cap as there are two paper thin and brittle gaskets there, most likely fused to the bigger round part (left next to the latch).

Different fuel caps have slightly different designs. The biggest difference would be some have one some two springs in the key mechanism.

Attachments:

Last edit: by StanG.

Fuel Spillage From Tank Flap.......Issue ! 4 years 8 months ago #24895

• strate6
  • strate6's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356

Kawboy wrote: The vent tube seal has caused some grief in the past. Does yours look like this?

Z1 parts fuel cap vent tube seal

Yep, thats the one, ..........good fit, supple and sealing

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Fuel Spillage From Tank Flap.......Issue ! 4 years 8 months ago #24896

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Those breather seals are available stock from Kawasaki - at least in Canada.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds