Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

2 long term starts with Choke Air Mod. 5 years 2 weeks ago #23556

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I've been looking and can't find 1/4 x 32 metric equivalent. In fact, can't find 1/4 x 32 at all. All reference tables I found so far show 1/4 x 20 and 1/4 x 28.

In the meantime, I just too a quick show and tell photo of two NF 1/4 x 28 I have. Quite different, aren't they?
Top marked England, bottom Canada.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 long term starts with Choke Air Mod. 5 years 2 weeks ago #23557

• Russ
  • Thank you received: 1
Just my point of view but I would think that the way to go if you were going to tap the carb would be a standard M6 thread. The hole cast into the carb is very close to the tapping size of the M6 (5.1mm), so no drilling required. The tapping size for the 1/4" is 5.4mm so you may need to open the hole out to get the 1/4" tap to start. Standard 1/4" UNF is 28 TPI, although 20 and 32 TPI taps are available.
If you did need to drill the casting the drill is prone to snatch with the drill size being so close to the cast hole size, even if you "dulled" the end of the drill. Also you also have to align the drill with the casting hole which isn't easy by hand, especially if it does snatch. If you made a mess of the drilling you would then have to go down the thread repair routes
I would defiantly steer clear of having to drill the carb, especially if you don't need to as the metric size will tap without opening the hole up.
Russ

2 long term starts with Choke Air Mod. 5 years 2 weeks ago #23558

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
From the list of the sizes of these Holley carb jets, being from 50 to 109, which size corresponds to the desired hole size 3/32" size, or that mentioned earlier Mikuni 280?
I did the homework for you. www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/car...in_jets/parts/122-82

- 1/4 x 32" tap, what is the actual correct corresponding tap size - in metric?
There is no "corresponding" metric tap size. 1/4" x 32 UNEF is a standard size. UNEF threads are more likely used for adjustment screws where a fine pitch is required more than grip strength. In this case, I think Holley may have used the 32 tpi thread to force you to buy their jets down the road if you needed replacement jets. Brand loyalty so to speak.

If finding the 1/4" x 32 tap is a problem, then you could go with the Mikuni B42-55 jet in size #240. ( which is .094") www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_typ...kuni_B42_55_air.html
This jet requires a M6 x 1mm tap which is a common tap size and not a specialty size.

There's always 2 ways to skin a cat.
Scotch gave us a Mig tip option with mods to turn the mig tip in to an orifice. Then Scotch found a Holley main jet option and posted the installation of the Holley jet.
In parallel with Scotch's research and development, and unaware of what Scotch was up to, I also struck off and found an air jet at www.jetrus.com that turned out to be a Mikuni air jet. So both options are posted here.
Bottom line this mod development is all thanks to Scotch. His knowledge on this carb is invaluable and I bow to him. Scotch has reverse engineered a fix for one of the most troubling aspects of this fuel system on the KZ1300.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

Last edit: by Kawboy.

2 long term starts with Choke Air Mod. 5 years 2 weeks ago #23560

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89

Kawboy wrote: ...There's always 2 ways to skin a cat....

I found it easier to use rivet bodies as I think Scotch suggested early on. Had the right size on hand so it was a no-brainer. The jets do look better, but who is going to see them?

Even the early brass tube and hose suggestion would work.

2 long term starts with Choke Air Mod. 5 years 2 weeks ago #23561

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
All works well, but in the back of my head I always have them sliding out some day inside the carbs - the fuel line/tube or other pressed in solutions. No matter how hard pressed in, kind of paranoia lol

A cumulative thank you for the other follow ups :)

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds