Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Carburetor Kits 5 years 1 month ago #23500

• Motocross902
  • Motocross902's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm sure that this topic has been covered many times but I couldn't find a good answer. Who makes the best carburetor kits (ethanol resistant) for these bikes? I have 7 (81s & 82s) that need to be resurrected and they all of course have carburetor issues. I suspect (hope) that one of you KZ1300 fanatics will have an answer. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carburetor Kits 5 years 1 month ago #23504

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
I can't speak for the kits but all of the kits use the Buna-N o-rings. You could buy any of the kits and also buy Viton 75 o-rings for the 3 float needle seats . The brass needle seats have an o-ring to seal the seat to the carb body. A Buna N o-ring in that position will be exposed to the fuel and cause the o-ring to shrink. Flooding could occur as fuel escapes around the needle seat and in to the carb bowl, then flood the engine eventually.
I like the idea of changing out all of the o-rings to the Viton but in reality only the o-ring on the seat is an issue. The o-ring on the carb drain screw on the carb bowl only seals the drain screw to the carb bowl when the screw is open. Once the screw is closed that pathway for the fuel no longer exists.
The o-rings on the idle air jets don't see fuel either so Buna N is fine for them as well.
As for the carb kits, unless they come with new Stock jets you're wasting your money. The only real thing you need to overhaul the carbs is the carb bowl gasket and the Viton 75 o-ring for the float needle seat.

and of course, one of Scotch's flushing tools These are the nastiest carbs to clear circuits on that I've ever worked on

Scotch to verify??

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Carburetor Kits 5 years 1 month ago #23512

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
VERIFIED by "Scotch" :woohoo:

....and thanks for the plug...you know, for the "Cleaning Tool":)
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Carburetor Kits 5 years 1 month ago #23517

• Motocross902
Thank you for the response! I have KZ1300 passion but little knowledge about breathing new live into these beasts. Any thoughts on head gaskets! Purchased an aftermarket one and soon after the engine was running it was leaking.

Carburetor Kits 5 years 1 month ago #23518

• Motocross902
What tools should I have for the carburetors? Looking for all the help I can get. With 7 to get running, I can't afford the lost time reinventing. My goal is to get the 7 KZ1300s and the 2 CBXs running well and then get some buddies to take the herd on a ride. At which time one of the lucky kz1300 with be on a cross country trip!

Thank you.

Carburetor Kits 5 years 1 month ago #23521

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Last edit: by scotch.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds