Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

TICKOVER 10 years 2 months ago #1836

• SIXPIPES
  • SIXPIPES's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello all,
finally got my bike running and its sounds like a Farrari on two wheels, cant wait to get it on the road now.
Hopefully someone can help with two issues I have.
I cannot get the bike to tickover correctly, if I use the adjustment screw it will tickover fine but when I open the throttle it takes a while before the engine returns to its normal tickover state, at the moment I have the tickover adjustment screw totally off, should I be looking at the air adjustment screws on the carbs?

The other issue I have is I managed to throw the tank badge holder on the fire (don't ask) the left hand one, I have found someone selling them at a massive $300 for black ones or $400 for chrome ones, does any one kno9w where I could get a left hand badge holder,

Thanks to all for all the help you have given me on this re-build
TRIUMPH T120R,BSA A7,BSA A10,BSA SPITFIRE,BSA ROCKET 3 RV,ARIAL SQ 4,S.O.S, RUDGE, BENELLI 750SEI,BENELLI 900SEI, KZ900, SUZUKI GT750, SUZUKI RE5, KAWASAKI H1A, KAWASAKI H2, MOTO GUZZI 850T, NORTON FASTBACK, NORTON INTERSTATE, SUNBEAM S8.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

TICKOVER 10 years 2 months ago #1837

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
So when you say tickover do you mean base idle? If this is the case, this could be the result of:
a: Vacuum leak.
b: Mixture screw adjustment.
c: Balance adjusters opening the throttle valves too far.
e: Vacuum pistons not operating in the bore properly. i.e. stuck.
f: roughly the above items in that order.

I had a high idle on my set of carbs (until recently) when I replaced them with a good core, used set. My #1 throttle valve chaffed a groove in the throat of the carburetor. (Found a whole core set on Ebay) the going rate for a good core can be as low as $100.00 to $250.00. (Stateside)

Regarding those overpriced badge holders. I suggest being patient and watching the online auctions and combing any dead dealer NOS stock.

Keep us posted.

Todd.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Last edit: by Toddh. Reason: spelling

TICKOVER 10 years 2 months ago #1845

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
I had problems with mine ages ago, turned out to be the wiring harness that went down the top of the frame, it sagged a bit and was pushing down on the top of the carbie adjustment rod on one carbie, not allowing it to come back to fully shut, took me ages to find it, a couple of cable ties later and everything is clear and all works well, also do you have the big tank or the smaller tank ?, I have two badge holders for the smaller tank, brand new, bought them on e-bay thinking they were the ones for the bigger tank, the ad didn't say they were for the smaller tank, no good on the big tank, your welcome to them if you need them, cheers
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

Last edit: by kza13.

TICKOVER 10 years 2 months ago #1848

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Sounds like regular carb set up to me.

Get pilot mixtures right then carry out your vacuum balance procedure & go from there.

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

TICKOVER 10 years 2 months ago #1849

• Mikez
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Kza13,

If noone takes you up on that I'd like to!

Badges those have been an especially painful thing for me to source as well. Especially due to the premium they fetch! That does bring up a lingering question regarding them that I've had..

I've had a hunch that some of the badges can have a standard size between bikes. Has anyone ever pulled the badges from another KZ like a kz600/750/1000 to see if any are the same size as the ones on our bikes?

I bought an identical set from a kz400 last summer and tried fitting them but they were just a little too small. Didn't have any money left so I fitted them anyway (only someone with a trained eye for the 1300's will probably notice they're a tad too small lol).

With the carbs I agree it sounds like a number of things could be at fault like Todd and Pete have suggested :). Would be a good idea to take them off, clean em up good, inspect slides especially for hangups (if they don't return to original position fast enough), adjust mixture screws to 3+ turns out, bench sync em up real good visually and put em back on.

You're saying the idle screw is all the way out and the bike isn't dying? Could be way out of sync...

Last edit: by Mikez.

TICKOVER 10 years 2 months ago #1850

• Mikez
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Oh if anyone's interested, I've attached what the tad too small ones from a kz400 looked like after I've fitted em :). Sorry, I don't have many current pictures of my bike and this one was taken last fall. It's the gray primer sprayed one.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds