Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Just another carb? :blink: 5 years 3 months ago #22926

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Yes, dealing with four sets of carbs purchased between 50 and 350 dollars a set. Plus shipping. A nostalgic pic now - just 5 idle jets loose left but can't get them out of one of the carb set. Blimey. Tomorrow! :)

Countless cleaning, lacquer thinner, scotch's tool, carb cleaner spray with nozzle, and ultrasonic cleaning. To name a few, and aftermarket parts ordered to take care of fixing when applicable.

It's been a project of mine to assemble a good spare set for my bike, then a set for the bike I am building. I will have at least two sets spare for sale eventually when ready, they will come tuned and tested on my bike. Bad parts replaced by new ones. I will abuse them for a few hundred miles before offering them for sale! haha SO there will be no gray area to ask if they work. Video included. But I am getting ahead of myself and time. I will offer complete reliable sets to mainly get some money back, when the time is right and the projects complete.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: zed_thirteen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Just another carb? :blink: 5 years 3 months ago #22931

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
Regarding the float-valve body: Run a Tap into it - heat 'til the o-ring smokes and with some vice-grips on the Tap.......tap it up and out.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Last edit: by scotch.

Just another carb? :blink: 5 years 3 months ago #22934

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

scotch wrote: Regarding the float-valve body: Run a Tap into it - heat 'til the o-ring smokes and with some vice-grips on the Tap.......tap it up and out.

Adjust for maximum smoke :P
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Just another carb? :blink: 5 years 3 months ago #22941

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Thanks for the tip scotch, I have three more but I think they might come out by mechanical means.
One thing I am missing in my toolbox is a small butane torch - that I will need to get for small directional heating and soldering. It would be good for this job.

A bit more cleaning and some brass tubes repairs. I am lucky to find the little jets that reside inside them - a couple fell out during cleaning but I found them at the bottom of the tank.
I can't wait to start putting all together, four carbs at the same time. Almost looks like a production line! haha

Just another carb? :blink: 5 years 3 months ago #22944

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Yep, they came out with weird pliers I have, kind of looking like claws and I don't know what their real purpose is. I think cutting thick cables.

The 3 pinhead jets just sit in there loose and don't want to come out... I have no compressed air so trying to come up with a different solution. Finger turn mini 'drill' with a thin drill bit to clean them up, and a brass wire with some solder and flax, then connect, heat up and pull out? This is what I'm considering. Kind of scared of a drop of super glue in there.

Got rid of what looked like limescale where emulation tubes go and fuel supply. Gross!!! Once those float valve bodies are off, you can really see that no amount of ultrasonic cleaning would take care of it. All compacted and stuck, including weird colors. For ultrasonic cleaning surfaces need to be exposed.

Last edit: by StanG.

Just another carb? :blink: 5 years 3 months ago #22958

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
This is the same as the one in the first photo. Cool, isn't it? :) Split photo.

Almost there with this sucker. Some detailing left to do before adjusting the float levels and all will be ready to be bolted up and ready for abuse by the engine lol

Attachments:

Last edit: by StanG.
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds