Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Petcock filter 5 years 8 months ago #20954

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
It came with these pieces of hose and clamps.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by StanG.

Petcock filter 5 years 8 months ago #20955

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
Don't see a problem with "filter restriction". The additional concern with the unfiltered reserve-port would be "that collected debris" getting into the shut-off and ruining it's ability to remain leak-proof.
The filter you show is the same "type/design " I have used (WIX) for years...without ANY flow issues. It's compact size works perfectly right off the fuel-valve !

Some seem "bent" on thinking they need a filter the size of a bean-can because "it's going on a 6 cylinder. Rubbish !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Last edit: by scotch.

Petcock filter 5 years 8 months ago #20956

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

The additional concern with the unfiltered reserve-port would be "that collected debris" getting into the shut-off and ruining it's ability to remain leak-proof

That is a great point scotch, why I didn't think about it in the light of this often discussed leakage issue? With the fuel tank bullet proof for rust, and all the turbulence from filling up, I think things would be fine, and lift any micro debris. But then, micro abrasive compounds are used for grinding valves, which are much harder than a fuel petcock! I will protect that reserve hole as well. Might get a piece of brass pipe to fit in there and solder a mesh to it, or cut off a bit from the main tube and fit in there. I'd just have a few miles less on reserve, but more mileage on the main supply! LOL A cheap way to have a 'larger tank' upgrade, hahaha

Last edit: by StanG.

Petcock filter 5 years 8 months ago #20964

• RChaloner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 40
Stan, you & Scotch have covered it really but yes the surface area of that gauze looks similar to OE, albeit the original on my A1 is shaped like a flattened oval as it covers both feeds.

If you really don't want a reserve function, why not just blank that port and cut down your brass main-feed pipe to utilise 100% of the tank?
1979 KZ1300 A1
1999 K1200LT - now sold, I like them however was nearly as big as my X5 but no faster.

Petcock filter 5 years 8 months ago #20968

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I still would want at least 10 miles left 'just in case'. But I will be cutting it down, and fit the left piece in the reserve port with another mesh. Or - if I find a piece of adequate tubing I would use that.
I didn't really want to modify anything permanently hoping I could fit in a mesh that would fit just like the original. And then also goes the calibration of the fuel level indicator.
In general, I've been trying to reuse as much of the old parts or give new life to any new old parts. This petcock also came from eBay.

Petcock filter 5 years 8 months ago #20976

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
from personal experience with this and similar dilemmas - Don't hack-up anything !

Leave the fuel-valve as is...... use that inline filter. One day you'll come across the correct tank filter or figure out how to make one.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds