• Page:

TOPIC:

Fuel injection conversion 10 years 4 months ago #878

• RickG
  • RickG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
I have just finished reading through the Q and A section that was taken from the old forum and found it quite interesting.
In one part fuel injection is discussed and a mention is made of suitable injector throttle bodies that can be used in lieu of the OEM gear.
One replacement that is very worthy of consideration is the throttle bodies from a K series BMW. there are several options available K100 (which are cheap as) they are 34mm then up to 36mm from a K1100 and 38mm from a K1200. The K1100 & 1200 have a rubber manifold that takes a Bosch injector for each cylinder.
These are 4 cylinder but getting 2 sets and making a 6 cylinder brace or 2 x 3 is an easy proposition if you use the 34mm K75 stubs which are from a 3 cyl version of the K100
I have looked into this as a project for my Z13 and decided that the 2 x 3cyl braces using the 38mm K1200 stubs with 1 stub removed from each brace (a vert easy job)and then use the Megasquirt computer and software. As well as the FI it also controls the ignition which is a big plus considering that the ignition was not exactly a bullet proof feature of the Z13.
I shall leave it for now as I could go on for hours but food for thought.
In my newness to the forum I posted this in the wrong place could a mod please rectify this and put it in the fuel injection section please :blush:
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by RickG. Reason: Usual DOH

Fuel injection conversion 10 years 4 months ago #890

• wrgoo56
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Sounds interest now for the fun part. What is your projected cost for this project. I am asking cause I got my carbs working good but I would like the fuel injection better.

Fuel injection conversion 10 years 4 months ago #894

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
No projected cost as I have heaps of spare BMW K100 and K1100 parts. The megasquirt gear would cost anywhere from $400 to $1000 depending on whether you buy a kit or a ready to use setup. If you aren't familiar with the Megasquirt google it and there is myriad of info. All the software is open source and there are several manufacturers of the hardware and they also distribute the software.
Check out fleabay for BMW K series injection parts, some parts are supprisingly cheap because they rarely give trouble and the breakers have many sets.
Pinwalls in Ohio are close to you and a good reliable source of that gear.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Fuel injection conversion 10 years 1 month ago #2210

• Roadhazardguy
  • Thank you received: 1
Any progress on this? I'm wondering how you plan on mounting the throttle bodies to the 13 engine with our odd intake flanges and what are you doing about the spacing between them? Also couldn't you use the z13 throttle bodies with the megasquirt stuff or would the bmw T/Bs be that much of an improvement? Is there some other vehicle you would get the megasquirt computer from or are they fairly universal? Sorry for all the questions, I'm not very keen on this sort of thing.

Fuel injection conversion 10 years 1 month ago #2212

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
I have pondered this conversion for some time.

Using the old TBI's are the easiest part of the conversion. The carburetor boots are the same boots used on the F.I. models. Newer injectors are made that bolt onto the original throttle bodies. Via RC engineering. www.rceng.com/ so if you find an old tired set, the throttle bodies could and should be refurbished.

The real difficulty lies in going from simple batch injection (as originally designed) to a more modern (Sequential) system using the Mega-Squirt processor. Mainly the reluctor (crank wheel) and the cam sensor. I see home made sequential injection adapted to motorcycles so it's possible. It largely lends to ones machining capabilities and shop experience. The newer ZG1300's have the crank trigger and wheel. I do not think they ever had a cam sensor, like the current automotive industry has migrated too.

The Components are readily available and the wiring is fairly straight forward.

Matt Cramer at DIYAutoTune.com is helpful as they are a M.S. reseller.

Hope this helps.

Todd.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Last edit: by Toddh. Reason: spelling

Fuel injection conversion 10 years 1 month ago #2214

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Roadhazardguy wrote: Any progress on this? I'm wondering how you plan on mounting the throttle bodies to the 13 engine with our odd intake flanges and what are you doing about the spacing between them? Also couldn't you use the z13 throttle bodies with the megasquirt stuff or would the bmw T/Bs be that much of an improvement? Is there some other vehicle you would get the megasquirt computer from or are they fairly universal? Sorry for all the questions, I'm not very keen on this sort of thing.

I have looked into the mounting and have not come to a conclusion but most likely an adapter plate that the BMW flanges bolt to. No reason not to use the OEM parts but the BMW stubs would be a lot easier to get and re-spacing the stubs can be done to suit.
I am in early stages of this as I am still gathering the parts I know I will need to get the poor old girl back on the road and I really don't want to have to play with those damn finicky carbs again ever again as they were always a PITA for the time I rode the bike and now they have been sitting for 10 years there will be almost no hope for them.
Z1300 A1 x 2

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds