Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Carb Maintenance Question ~ Bike has been parked 10 years 5 months ago #498

• Metric_454
  • Metric_454's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6
since 1987 if I am to believe the P.O.

I thought the Throttle Cables were froze up, but they are good.

Got the carbs off and the linkages don't operate. Butterflies don't fly and are in the closed position.

Everything else internally looks nice and clean.

I am thinking it may be the pivoting shaft that holds the linkages. I don't know what action they are supposed to have and am currently spraying the entire assembly down with carb cleaner.

I am also wondering about the three tubes or linkages and how they function.

I am trying like anything to avoid tearing these little pieces apart, because I know how I am.

Besides trying the carb cleaner ( and perhaps soaking them in Diesel for a week or so...), what other things should I look at before tearing into them?

Any input is appreciated.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carb Maintenance Question ~ Bike has been parked 10 years 5 months ago #503

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Hi Metric,

Are the three tubes you're referring to are the sync adjustments built into the tops of the linkage tubes. There's one for each carb. They cause the butterflys to open and when the engine provides enough vacuum the vacuum slides open. Are the vacuum slides free? They should move easily, making a breathing sound.

Soaking the whole thing if you can will eventually get things moving again.

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Last edit: by KZQ.

Carb Maintenance Question ~ Bike has been parked 10 years 5 months ago #506

• Metric_454
Bill, yes, the Sync Adjustments and Linkage Tubes.

The vacuum slides (round cylinders in the middle of each barrel??) are free and move easily.

Old wives tales over on this side of the pond suggest soaking in Simple Green (it is supposed to be gentle on seals and all, yet gets the gunk out...)

Anyone every tried this method?

Carb Maintenance Question ~ Bike has been parked 10 years 5 months ago #507

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Metric,

What symptoms / running problems are you experiencing ?

Please describe as accurately as possible as it may not be carbs ?

Pete
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Carb Maintenance Question ~ Bike has been parked 10 years 5 months ago #510

• Metric_454
I haven't even hooked a battery to this bike. It is a project. Bought it and joined the fourm a few weeks back.

P.O. claims it has been sitting in the barn since 1987.

Going through doing general cleaning, removing mouse nests. Fresh fluids, fesh plugs. Doing the AW 82 Coil Upgrade, etc...

So, no real running symptoms, but the throttle didn't turn, tore it apart, cables slide ok in sheathes.

Down to the carbs, no movement.

Pulled the carbs and everything looks promising, and clean for a bike sitting this long.

Butterflies won't respond. no movement on linkage. Not sure how the linkages are supposed to move.

(2) cans of spray carb cleeaner concentrating on pivot shaft area and springs, cam, etc..

Still no movement.

Have begun soaking in diesel fuel as of this a.m.

Carb Maintenance Question ~ Bike has been parked 10 years 5 months ago #515

• wrgoo56
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Well I guess then it time to get right to it. The throttle and sync tubes your talking about have two sets of cups at both ends which goes over the ball fitting on the upper rod and the throttle shaft at the bottom. Back of the lock nut and turn out the set and addjustment screw at the top. Don't that it all the way out cause they are spring loaded. Now slip them off the ball fitting and set them aside . Now see if the throttles move if they do then check the throttle shaft bar across the top of carbs. Be carefull taking the tubes apart so you can see the order of things how all the parts come out. You can not get parts for these that s why its important not to loose any of the part. You maybe able to get them off ebay but you may have to buy the set just to get one part. Pull up the manuals to the right for a brake down. Thats a good starting point.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds