Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1980 KZ13 Project 3 years 7 months ago #27632

• Divman
  • Divman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 7
Morning All
Long time no chat ! Thought I will let you know my baby is finally finished.
Converted her to fuel injection !Power now on my Dyno is 131bhp.
Not bad for a 40 year old !!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1980 KZ13 Project 3 years 7 months ago #27634

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
I went looking in previous posts for a write up on your endeavours and couldn't find one. What was involved in your project?

And I for one would like to hear more about your fuel injection conversion. Did you adopt a system from the Voyager or develop your own with injected throttle bodies and a computer?

1980 KZ13 Project 3 years 7 months ago #27635

• Divman
  • Divman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi Kawboy
I started with the project about 1.5 years ago.The build was on and off as I had time.It was a complete rebuild.Widened rear rim,rebuilt engine,re wired,repainted frame and "body",etc.
The injection conversion came about because I just got tired of fitting carb kits !
I used Voyager throttle bodies & later swopped the old school injectors out for Golf injectors.A Spitronics management system was used.Obviously the pick up was replaced by a trigger wheel that I manufactured with a Lexus speed sensor that was fitted to the casing.I had to get the stator re-wound to get a better charge rate.
Once we mapped it on the Dyno I could also set the rev limiter at 10800 rpm. which she handles quite easily.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Divman. Reason: Pictures added.

1980 KZ13 Project 3 years 7 months ago #27636

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Nice work that, well done !

Bet it can pull a house down now with that BHP.!!

I have only ever owned one DFI Z1300 but remember it being smoother still than the carb models and far more respnsive on the throttle .........for obvious reasons !!

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Divman

1980 KZ13 Project 3 years 7 months ago #27637

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027

Divman wrote: Hi Kawboy
I started with the project about 1.5 years ago.The build was on and off as I had time.It was a complete rebuild.Widened rear rim,rebuilt engine,re wired,repainted frame and "body",etc.
The injection conversion came about because I just got tired of fitting carb kits !
I used Voyager throttle bodies & later swapped the old school injectors out for Golf injectors.A Spitronics management system was used.Obviously the pick up was replaced by a trigger wheel that I manufactured with a Lexus speed sensor that was fitted to the casing.I had to get the stator re-wound to get a better charge rate.
Once we mapped it on the Dyno I could also set the rev limiter at 10800 rpm. which she handles quite easily.

Thanks for responding !! This is the kind of inspiration we would like to see here. Obviously, "other" experiences have helped pull this setup together. Nicely done !!

I'd also like to know more about the "Golf" injectors. What year Golf? High impedance or low impedance injectors?
Update- I just had a quick look at the Spitronics ECU and now I'm really curious about that unit. South African manufactured and cost wise looks better than the Microsquirt or Megasquirt. So.... which Spitronics did you opt for? and did you use it for both ignition and fuel injection? How's the support?

I have been gathering parts and hope to get back to the beast sometime later this year. I do have a completely rebuilt set of carbs to start with but I recently picked up a set of throttle bodies from a ZN and want to pull them together with 19 LB 4 hole injectors and fire everything with a Microsquirt which will batch fire the injectors and run the ignition in wasted spark. I'd die and go to Heaven for a Megasquirt 3 for full sequential injection and coil on plug individual cylinder timing control ignition but the Megasquirt 3 itself is over $1,000 U.S. it's also 4 times the physical size of the Microsquirt. Not happening. I can probably see the Microsquirt with all the peripherals coming in under $600. That I'm willing to do. I also think if using smart induction coils, I may be able to use 6 individual coils (D585's) in wasted spark. Still studying that option.
I really need to finish this FREAKING house and get back to what I love. I hate sitting on the side lines and watching all you guys having fun. Speaking of which, What's going on guys? The silence on this site is deafening !! If you're working on a project, how about some updates?? If you're out riding how about some pics of your trips?? This site can't survive without support from the members contributing !!! Get typing !! Throw in some photos !! I'd be contributing but I'm sure you don't want to hear about my bathroom reno that's going on right now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stocktoy

Last edit: by Kawboy.

1980 KZ13 Project 3 years 7 months ago #27638

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
What's going on guys? The silence on this site is deafening !! If you're working on a project, how about some updates??

I've done a lot of riding this year and have spent a considerable amount of time doing some tweaks, mods and adjustments with the intent of increasing my fuel mileage. For the past 2 months have repeated the same ride and route @ 100KPH. 250 K, 3 hour trip. Results have been very good !
Maybe this will initiate some dialogue Kawboy.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds