• Page:

TOPIC:

Parts availability 3 years 9 months ago #27436

• Bucko
  • Bucko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Considering a 81 1300 that I looked at a few days ago. It's got some motor problems (maybe), but I'm confident I can deal with any issues there and I'm more concerned about original some bits that need attention, namely:
  • Seat is original but recovered and the foam has been cut. I know reproduction seat covers are available but is replacement foam available?
  • Chrome air-box covers are broken and in otherwise rough shape - seems to me SS reproductions are available - how hard are are originals to find?
  • Original Headlight brackets are there but are in rough shape. Seems to me these are very difficult to find as even a zero speed tip-over will often cause the signal light stem to bend the bracket.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Bucko.

Parts availabiliyt 3 years 9 months ago #27437

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
A fantastic start (and, depending, last resort) is z1300.de/. There's quite a few hard to find and reproduction parts, of types that are sometimes legitimately surprising. Prices can be up there, especially depending on where you're shipping them to, but it's a godsend if you have no other option.

Apart from that? It's a lot of asking here and getting lucky on ebay/craigslist/whichever. Cant' speak for the foam, but headlight bracket and airbox sidecovers are about the same- they come up rarely, and are usually expensive when they do. Add to that the fact that headlight brackets came in two lengths (I want to say depending on the air shock style? Early bikes had longer tubes than later ones), and those get even worse. And you can't forget all the trim and bushings on either side of them, either.

The only upside is that the headlight brackets are VERY meaty, with a substantial rubber bushing on the turn signal stem, by design. The turn signal will pull out of the way long before it would bend the headlight bracket itself.

Parts availabiliyt 3 years 9 months ago #27438

• Bucko
  • Bucko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

Lucien-Harpress wrote: The only upside is that the headlight brackets are VERY meaty, with a substantial rubber bushing on the turn signal stem, by design. The turn signal will pull out of the way long before it would bend the headlight bracket itself.

My experience on my 79 was if the bike tips over and the front signals touch the ground the brackets will bend. The 81 that I looked at had both brackets bent from tip overs.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Parts availabiliyt 3 years 9 months ago #27439

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Regarding the seat, on ebay bobtheseat does state that he can supply the foam, as well as the cover, strap and base.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds