Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Chance to buy 1983 KZ1300 ....parked running but sitting for 10 years!!! Yes/No 3 years 9 months ago #27145

• Neville
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 75
Yes, shame that the radiator covers the headers as it looks so much better without (see pic). Worth noting that the radiator has to dissipate around the same amount of power as the engine at its rated condition - so 120-130 hp or 90-100 kW. However, this level of heat rejection usually occurs at very high speeds so there will be a good flow of cooling air. The most challenging condition for the radiator is relatively low speeds and high loads - such as long uphill gradients in very hot weather. I am sure our 1300's would also benefit from a more powerful electric fan for those hot days in stop start traffic. Even more roasting for the rider!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Neville.

Chance to buy 1983 KZ1300 ....parked running but sitting for 10 years!!! Yes/No 3 years 9 months ago #27147

• tvrfan2003
  • tvrfan2003's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Wow there are some truly amazing looking bikes that have been brought back to life, with many different looks! I do like the look of the motors partly blacked out but allowing some chrome to highlight....and yes I now see that with that many pipes it all works lol.....fingers crossed that the guy ahead of me bails when he looks at it...must admit that even if I lose this one, may be spending a bit more time looking...dont see that many show up here in Ontario Ca but if I expanded search to Voyagers as see lots of those sitting lol....appear similar other than drop frame. Anyway, thanks again for all the support!

Chance to buy 1983 KZ1300 ....parked running but sitting for 10 years!!! Yes/No 3 years 9 months ago #27150

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

strate6 wrote: Dont let polishing put you off mate..............
Even with Black Pipes, they still have a massive presence !!
Its just the sheer size and width of the motor with six pipes that makes it stand out from the rest (little 4 cylinder bikes) HAHA !

Are those pipes ceramic powder coated? If so, wondering how durable the finish was. I'm working on another bike right now that has an OEM black chrome pipes which are now sadly in need of a new finish. Considering ceramic powder coating but around here, the durability of that finish has mixed reviews. I've used the ceramic high temp paint on exhaust pipes before and found it reasonably durable but it only lasts several seasons - but 1/10th the cost of ceramic coating.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Last edit: by Bucko.

Chance to buy 1983 KZ1300 ....parked running but sitting for 10 years!!! Yes/No 3 years 9 months ago #27151

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Naaaahhhh............

Ceramic coating = someone making a lot of cash for very little or nothing...........bollocks to that !

Just get a good clean well prepared surface on the metal and buy some good quality Hi Heat Paint in a rattle can and apply it in thin coats with 6 hours between coats and it will last for a long time.

Ceramic coating on bike exhausts is like Snake Oil or Stop Leak Products...................Greek Myth and non existant !

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Last edit: by strate6.

Chance to buy 1983 KZ1300 ....parked running but sitting for 10 years!!! Yes/No 3 years 9 months ago #27155

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

strate6 wrote: Naaaahhhh............

Ceramic coating = someone making a lot of cash for very little or nothing...........bollocks to that !

Just get a good clean well prepared surface on the metal and buy some good quality Hi Heat Paint in a rattle can and apply it in thin coats with 6 hours between coats and it will last for a long time.

Ceramic coating on bike exhausts is like Snake Oil or Stop Leak Products...................Greek Myth and non existant !

Pete F
UK

Good stuff. Do you use a hi temp primer first? I noticed the VHT rattle-can suggests using VHT high heat primer first - I've never used the primer but wonder if the finish would be more durable if I did.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Chance to buy 1983 KZ1300 ....parked running but sitting for 10 years!!! Yes/No 3 years 9 months ago #27156

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
I too never use the primer.
Its vital to get the metal surface 100% clean and with a good sand paper like surface if possible so the paint gets a strong key / grip.
Wash the whole thing in paint thinners first just before paint and dont even touch it with bare fingers before you paint it as the oils in your skin can cause the paint to lift when hot.
Try to fit the system to the bike within 24 hours of painting and get it nice and warm to complete the curing process.
Its worth the time and effort if you do it properly.

No paint I have found will stay on a chrome or plated down pipe surface.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Time to create page: 0.882 seconds