Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

High fuel consumption 4 years 10 months ago #24409

• ldemon
  • ldemon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Got a KZ1300 1980 it idle well, and it rev well when it cold but when the bike is hot i do have the acceleration that im supposed to.
Example it will take his fuel if I gently turn the acceleration handle, it will revolutionize up,but if I turn the handle at once like when you'r enter the highway or got out of a village it dies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

High fuel consumption 4 years 10 months ago #24429

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
but if I turn the handle at once like when you'r enter the highway or got out of a village it dies.

Right off the top of my head - this would suggest the engine is running on Lean main jets, but this contradicts your topic: "High Fuel Consumption".

Need some detailed info about what you have done to the carbs regarding cleaning, jetting, Main-needle position etc..
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

High fuel consumption 4 years 10 months ago #24434

• ldemon
And scotch it is not the same carb kit the one that have a high consumption is off my bike for the moment. I try to fix my probleme in change carb set but gone a new different probleme whit thess.

High fuel consumption 4 years 1 month ago #26058

• ldemon
Hello guys, so here the story and new paragraph, the problems. I bought a motorbike that was in a museum for only 1 year, oil and prestone inside. after having made a quick electronic tour, change of oil, gas and rebuilt three times my carburetors, the last rebuild whit Scotch famous kit. I am sure it is very clean and well mounted. After having adjusted and synchronized the carbs, the bike was riding well at idle and at high speed, it have a lot of torque and does not take oil, it turns "perfectly".

but these a but. it consumes around 20 liter / 100 KM I am in Quebec .. Is there any adjustment that may cause this. Some people have told me about the ignition timing. Would you have any ideas the hot season is in 60 days i want to be ready. I'll go check this with a professional motorcycles mechanical guys but before want your ideas or advice. Sorry for long writing i'm Frenchmen.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

High fuel consumption 4 years 1 month ago #26065

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
Bon jour ldemon.
Very happy to hear that your previous issues have been resolved !
Fuel consumption? L.O.L. No one buys a 1300 for economy !
My 1300's fuel mileage can range dramatically. If I ride hard I'll get the same 20liter/100K. (14/15 miles per imp. gallon.) If I ride like a "pussy" @ the speed limits I can stretch that to 9 liter/100K (32 MPG).
In my experience there's no "adjustment" that will change this. I've played with the float level - Don't bother ! I've tried changing the ignition timing - No difference. Tried leaning the high-speed needle ( Dropped the clip 1 groove) - didn't work - in fact that 1 groove down (Lowering the needle) caused the engine to run too lean and surge so I put the clip back into the #3 slot. Even played with the cam timing - Nope ! I've also had four different air-filter configurations: OEM air filter box, two customs ( attached directly to the carb. intakes with no plenum) and the one I'm using now - Search:" custom intake with filter". No difference in mileage!
Best I'll suggest at this point because this topic can be "La boite de Pandore": If it starts easily, idles well, transitions smoothly to high speed and your plugs are clean and have the correct "colors": That's as good as it gets !
I'm using a G.M. ignition col-pac. Enough spark to launch you across your shop and make you look like Albert Einstein ! I doubt the OEM coils are still being used but if they are - consider better coils. Probably won't make a notable difference to your mileage but the better the spark - the better the burn !
As far as discussing this with a "Mechanic"..........Most won't have ever seen a 1300, or even know what bike you're referring to. Your best source of ANY info will be in this forum.
So......"suck it up" (Pun intended) :woohoo: and enjoy the ride !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Last edit: by scotch.

High fuel consumption 4 years 1 month ago #26068

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
I remember my old KZ1300 did not get particularly good gas mileage. What's surprising is that my ZN1300 regularly gets mid to high 40's Miles per US gallon with FI in 'cruise mode' (almost 60 mpg imperial) - at least that's what the trip computer displays. May be a bit optimistic but never the less impressive given how much larger and heaver the ZN is
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Last edit: by Bucko.
Time to create page: 0.706 seconds