Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 5 years 2 months ago #22872

• propav8r
  • propav8r's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 33

stocktoy wrote: Sorry to hear you did your back in that sucks man, however there is a foot pad on the left center stand leg as well as a small rod/stick on the same leg its a heavy bike and a poor center stand setup. I've found if you use your left toe to put the stand on the ground (using the rod/stick) then take your right foot and place it on the foot pad on the stand leg then straighten the bike up onto both legs of the center stand then its still heavy to lift up use the grab handle (hope your bike still has it installed) and then its 1,2,3 lift with your legs and pull up on grab handle and back on the left handlebar and it should go up. I've never found it easy.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I did. Something about the angle I was at was just wrong though, and caused by back to go out. Time to hit the gym again and strengthen those forgotten muscle groups I guess. On the upside, I'm feeling much better today.

It's only happened to me once before while I was reaching under the hood of my Volvo to loosen a starter bolt. Not much force being applied, but it was just something about the way I was twisted/contorted that put me on the ground.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 5 years 2 months ago #22875

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Sorry to hear this and I'm glad it doesn't seem like a more serious injury. I'd be very careful doing it again, and personally gave up on trying to put it on a center stand.
A serious think can happen very easy. Almost 20 years ago, when I was still considerably young in my 30's and actually fit because doing sports, I picked up my 2 years old nephew, put him on my shoulders and was just horsing around. I tipped sideways a bit a couple times, absolutely nothing drastic or different from any mom or dad playing with kids, and the next days I was completely incapacitated with sciatica. I ended up in hospital on narcotics because of pain and not being able to do anything, even laying on bed was unbearable. A surgery on my spine was scheduled but I opted for steroid injections in the spine. It was like hell doing this because I had to sit and actually push on the sciatic nerve to open up the spine. But it helped. I was discharged after a week or so, but had to use a walker. It took almost three months to somewhat function, but there is still damage and I have weird muscle spasms in my calf. I also had episodes happening over the next ten years, after which I seem to be fine. Although I've been avoiding lifting heavy objects. A bit of a personal story, but I hope it worth to say it. I'd give up on putting the bike on center stand by yourself and find another way.

Quick recovery!

Last edit: by StanG.

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 5 years 2 months ago #22877

• propav8r
  • propav8r's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 33

StanG wrote: Sorry to hear this and I'm glad it doesn't seem like a more serious injury. I'd be very careful doing it again, and personally gave up on trying to put it on a center stand.
A serious think can happen very easy. Almost 20 years ago, when I was still considerably young in my 30's and actually fit because doing sports, I picked up my 2 years old nephew, put him on my shoulders and was just horsing around. I tipped sideways a bit a couple times, absolutely nothing drastic or different from any mom or dad playing with kids, and the next days I was completely incapacitated with sciatica. I ended up in hospital on narcotics because of pain and not being able to do anything, even laying on bed was unbearable. A surgery on my spine was scheduled but I opted for steroid injections in the spine. It was like hell doing this because I had to sit and actually push on the sciatic nerve to open up the spine. But it helped. I was discharged after a week or so, but had to use a walker. It took almost three months to somewhat function, but there is still damage and I have weird muscle spasms in my calf. I also had episodes happening over the next ten years, after which I seem to be fine. Although I've been avoiding lifting heavy objects. A bit of a personal story, but I hope it worth to say it. I'd give up on putting the bike on center stand by yourself and find another way.

Quick recovery!

Yeah, I'm only 27 and in decent shape. Definitely takes you by surprise.

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 5 years 2 months ago #22878

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Ah, the Center stand operating dilemma.

Short and sweet.
Left hand on the left handle bar.
Right foot on the center stand assist pad
Right hand on the handle near the seat and grab it from the top like it's the handle on a piece of luggage.
Put some weight on the assist pad with your right foot and at the same time, rock the bike left and right and feel when the feet of the center stand are both on the ground.
At that point stand with all your weight on the assist pad with your right foot and now your left foot is off the ground. Gently pull up on the handle under the seat with your right hand and allow the bike to roll up on the center stand.
You're done.
I'm a bit of a chunky monkey @ 260 lbs and I can literally pull the bike up on the center stand with my baby finger of my right hand when I have all my weight on that assist pad with my right foot. I find it so easy to do. I struggle to understand how so many people have trouble with the center stand and just give up using it.

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 5 years 2 months ago #22880

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248

Right hand on the handle near the seat and grab it from the top like it's the handle on a piece of luggage.

That we discussed and definitely is a part of the problem - most don't have that handle.

Resurrecting my '79 KZ1300 from a 28-year nap 5 years 2 months ago #22883

• giorgi3
  • Thank you received: 7
I used to be able to use the center stand without much difficulty. However my new garage has a very slick concrete floor, so it just wants to slide. I've only been able to get it on the center stand with the help of another person. :angry:

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds