Also realized I can't really assemble any of these bits until I have the cylinder tub on the crankcase as the chains need to go through... Never mind. At least I had some fun thinking about assembly. ???
I struggle with this comment. You don't have to disassemble the water pump shaft to remove the cylinder so.......
First all the way with Kawboy. No direct physical connection between the head and the chains.
As to cleaning up the cases. Perhaps redundant... but did you incorporate an aircraft paint stripper? Cuts time by about 3/4. Smelly and nasty stuff, but used right a time saver. Too bad I discovered it too late... but once I did, never looking back!
I used "Aircraft grade" paint stripper on my Pilatus glider which still had the original 2-part epoxy paint. 49' wing-span, plus the fuse. plus a 7 1/2' horizontal stab. (......so no bitching about stripping an engine, please )
Powerful stuff AND correct Breathing Protection is mandatory !!!!
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
Kawboy, you are (of course) correct, the chain can be slipped on/off the sprocket. I forgot. But I still have to wait until my new mechanical seal turns up.
Stan/Scotch, I did not use any paint stripper for the head and the tub. I just de-greased everything with Gunk, then wire brushed it and finally wet-and-dry sanded it a little for the paint to get purchase.
Now that it has been 'baked' the paint cannot be accidentally scratched, even with something metal such as a spanner or a screwdriver (unless you REALLY want to of course).
I spent countless hours removing paint from the stop light bracket for example, center stand etc. All by hand! My first 'eureka' moment was when I discovered the paint stripper. It doesn't remove all perfectly everywhere, but it definitely removes paint in those small not easy accessible crevices! And on flat surfaces - just wow. I tested it on the tank and after a few minutes just wiped those flakes with a paper towel to see bare metal.
It worked wonders on the shifting mechanism cover. All flaked off, paper towel, and I had bare aluminum on about about 90% of the surface. Applied in those spots and voila, almost no sand paper needed, no scratches.
It didn't work as well on the crank cases, but it helped in some places.
My next 'eureka' was incorporating media blasting. I think that would be best for crank cases and cylinder head (and I did blast the head). Once I discovered a sand blasting place where you could do it yourself, any paint stripping and rust removing became so easy. I sand blasted the whole frame myself!
I am sure most active members here have those small sand blasting cabinets in their garages - they are cheap, and I just can imagine how convenient is to be able to clean your brake calipers or brackets at home. It would had saved me tonnes of money and time.
Love the paint stripper, love the sand blasting! Oh, a Dremel set would also be a great addition.