Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 6 years 8 months ago #17025

• StanG
  • StanG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I removed the battery and the top air filter compartment. This exposed the bottom air box.
What a surprise there! It's not clearly visible, but I found down there pieces of a variety of seeds, nuts, and some leaves. My guess is there was a rodent living there. I don't think mice or rats, because there were no droppings. I would put my bet on a squirrel family. All dry and nobody left behind, I hope they grew up safe and had, or have, good happy lives.

It took me a long time to remove all the bits of the organic pieces.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by StanG.

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 6 years 8 months ago #17026

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I removed the attached vacuum hoses and the fuel valve, and pulled the carburetor out.

As you can see, there is some rust that sipped through to the carb #4. Everything is completely stuck. Nothing moves. But that's for later.

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 6 years 8 months ago #17027

• BigSix
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 224
Hi Stan

as other have already mentioned: a mother of a job, you have my deep respect. And all of this on the 6th floor !

I raise my glass for you, should you ever doubt: never surrender !

best regards,

Holger
Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 6 years 8 months ago #17053

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Thank you BigSix. These are the rules I have been living my life! Many quit before I do.
This KZ is very personal in a way. I don't want to abandon it. I am hitting many walls but I will stick to it. Delays, well, easily solved with money. But no amount of money can buy the spirit. Am I getting melodramatic? Hahaha That's OK, I don't care. I always believed that machines have spirit, and often that proved to be true. Like you would want to say that there is something weird going on behind the scenes.

I will get this bike roar again. When, I don't know and I don't care. Will do everything best to my ability. Next step is building a shelf rack which will sit in the corner of the living room and have all the parts visually sorted instead of boxes of plastic bags. The top shelf will be the fuel tank (which is rusted and needs a through overhaul). Then will come what's lower: head cover, head, and so on... I am spending soooo much time on cleaning by and and polishing. The aim is to have everything as clear as possible for the next step. I am in the process of evaluating what I have and what don't. In terms of repairs or replacements needed. One by one, small steps, take one item at the time from the shelf, get it right, put it back and have it ready to install when the time comes.

Yes, never surrender! Thanks Holger

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 6 years 8 months ago #17072

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I am just checking where I left off and here I go with a few more photos.

As I go along a few will duplicate if the story needs a clarification and a reference point.

This is the view after removing the carburetor.

I have followed the intake passage of the bad looking carburetor, and found out that in fact water seeped through the intake valve guide.

Next few photos leading to removing the head.

Attachments:

1982 KZ1300 rescue and rebuild 6 years 8 months ago #17073

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
The bike is being stripped in my friends underground garage, and bit by bit moved to my apartment.

Few more photos of the strip down...

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds