Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

ZN1300 Dirtbag Challenge Build 7 years 11 months ago #12497

• nick5446
  • nick5446's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Posted a few questions here, but with minimal site traffic they never really got answered. In the interest of building the site, here's my "finished" ZN1300.

I built it for the Dirtbag Challenge, which is a "low-rent chopper build off". This is the 5th bike I've built for the event, and the rules are pretty simple: 1) max budget is $1000 all-in, 2) you have 30 days to complete your build, 3) must survive the 100 mile ride to be eligible for the show and 4) no HDs.

Truthfully, I didn't do as much to the bike as I could have, or normally would have, but time was especially tight with work travel and house projects. I basically stripped everything I could off of the bike and fit a ZX6 front end. I also made an exhaust for it, bent some bars, eliminated as much of the electronics as I could. There's lots of other stuff that goes along with all of that, but that's the major stuff.

My bike did much better than expected. No real issues to speak of - dead battery in the morning and it boiled over twice in traffic. It handled well (dragged pipes and pegs a few times), stopped great, accelerated through the RPM range without issue, insane amount of power, was pretty comfortable, sounded fucking mean(!) and got more compliments than anything else on the road that day (won the People's Choice award).

What's next for the bike? New tires (front was rock hard and back is now junk :evil: ), new seat (probably gonna fork over a few bucks and have one made), new shocks (need another inch or two), clean the tank again (it was really bad), turn signals and plate mount, and I think that's about it. I wanted to put the kickstand on the right side, but never got around to it...maybe later.

Here are some pics. There are lots more (plus burnout videos) on Instagram. Enjoy!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by nick5446.

ZN1300 Dirtbag Challenge Build 7 years 11 months ago #12498

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
Congratulations. Looks fun - although not my cup of tea :unsure:

How much effort/fabrication/machining was required to put the ZX6 front end on?
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

ZN1300 Dirtbag Challenge Build 7 years 11 months ago #12499

• charlie9670
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13
Love it , totally my cup of tea, I've always been a dirtbag :evil: , the engines worth a grand so the rest of the bike is free..looks like a good laugh.
:) Z13 UK

ZN1300 Dirtbag Challenge Build 7 years 11 months ago #12500

• nick5446
Not for everyone, but a lot of talents are on display.

Front end swaps generally aren't too difficult. Depending on the bikes you're using it can be pretty simple. For this one I made a spacer using the bottom of the ZX6 stem, pressed it onto my ZN stem, and pressed that into the ZX clamp. New bearings and viola! It hits the tank though, so turning radius is...limited.

ZN1300 Dirtbag Challenge Build 7 years 11 months ago #12501

• nick5446

charlie9670 wrote: Love it , totally my cup of tea, I've always been a dirtbag :evil: , the engines worth a grand so the rest of the bike is free..looks like a good laugh.

Yeah I paid $700 for the bike. I was damn close to the limit, but it's a bike I'll actually ride and enjoy for a while.

ZN1300 Dirtbag Challenge Build 7 years 11 months ago #12502

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
I like it too ...looks brutal B)
Only dead fish go with the flow

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds