Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

DEEP SUMP (Oil Pan) Details 10 years 2 months ago #1879

• strate6
  • strate6's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
As many of us know already, the early 1300A1 carb models & some of the early 1300A2 carb models had the shallow sump (oil pan) fitted.

In some cases if the oil ran low, it could cause the engine to seize. K refused to admit to this issue as it would have been very costly. This did cause quite a problem for K as the engine only took 4.2 litres of oil & its a BIG engine so if it was only 1 liter low on oil it could be fatal.

On the later A2 models K started fitting a deeper sump to increase the oil capacity to 6.3 litres............funny that as they said 4.2 litres was ok & acceptable !
They also began fitting a new clutch casing with 6.3 litres stamped on it rather than 4.2 litres on the early models.

Anyway, its a really good idea to fit a larger sump & increase your oil capacity to 6.3 litres.

So how do you know if you have the SHALLOW or DEEP sump on your 1300 ?????

Its quite simple to confirm.

IF THE OIL DRAIN PLUG IS FACING FORWARDS THEN ITS THE SHALLOW TYPE.
IF THE OIL DRAIN PLUG IS FACING DOWN, THEN ITS THE DEEP TYPE..............thats it !!

YOU WILL ALSO NEED THE LONGER OIL PICK UP PIPE FROM THE DEEP SUMP MODEL THAT SITS ON THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PUMP UP INSIDE THE SUMP. ITS AROUND 1 INCH LONGER THAN THE SHALLOW SUMP MODEL PICK UP PIPE.

Be careful though.........just because your bike has 6.3 litres stamped on the clutch casing DOES NOT automatically mean its a deep sump model......it may just have had the clutch casing replaced due to accident damage as they are also a direct fit........

All fuel injection 1300's including the Voyager have the deep sump fitted as standard & pretty much every carb model A3/A4 & A5 too.

You can directly fit the deep sump from ANY 1300 model directly onto the early shallow sump models. The only issue you may have is if you have aftermarket or special exhausts fitted that collide with the larger sump, but I have never heard of this being a problem so far as the majority of extra size in the sump is between where the exhaust pipes fit under the bike.

Most of the deeper sumps have an oil level warning device inside........you dont need to use this (its crap anyway) & the wiring for it is not on the A1 or A2 to accept it anyway, so just leave it in there.

Regards

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob4717, pete1958, zed_thirteen, met1212, Gunhog63

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by strate6.

DEEP SUMP (Oil Pan) Details 10 years 2 months ago #1884

• zoso
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20
Hi Pete

I have a deep sump which I got for my kz as it still has the smaller one. Can you confirm that I also need the longer oil pan filter - or does the small one still do the job ?

cheers

Billy

DEEP SUMP (Oil Pan) Details 10 years 2 months ago #1885

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
you will need the longer oil pick-up or need to get yours extended. Leaving the short pick-up leaves (much) of the extra capacity out of reach.
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1
The following user(s) said Thank You: zoso

DEEP SUMP (Oil Pan) Details 10 years 2 months ago #1886

• zoso
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20
Thanks Zed thirteen - that's what I thought.

cheers

DEEP SUMP (Oil Pan) Details 10 years 2 months ago #1889

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
Before forums existed I once had to replace the oil pick-up on my A1 because I had cracked mine by over tightening the screws.

The replacement part from K was the longer version which I had to cut down (I didn't appreciate I should be looking for a bigger sump to go with it - although I had heard it was desirable) - There is a line on the newer longer style pick-up at the length of the older one. Looks like K just extended the mould/jig/tooling for it.
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

DEEP SUMP (Oil Pan) Details 10 years 2 months ago #1890

• strate6
  • strate6's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Thanks to those who mentioned & highlighted the longer oil pick up pipe which is also needed with the deeper sump.

I have updated the post above to include this information now.

If you have the welding or fabrication facilities you can simply extend the shorter pipe by 1 inch to cover this. I had an extension pipe welded onto mine on a 1300 some year ago.

Its best to buy the pick up pipe from the same bike the deep sump comes from if possible.

Thanks again.

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds