Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Crankshaft journal sizes 5 years 6 days ago #23643

• stunter01
  • stunter01's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi
I need some specs on a 81 KZ1300 crankshaft
I got a manual but there is no spec on journal sizes for big ends and mains like oil ckearance
And minimum sizes of journals etc
Anybody that can help me with it please

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Crankshaft journal sizes 5 years 6 days ago #23647

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027

stunter01 wrote: Hi
I need some specs on a 81 KZ1300 crankshaft
I got a manual but there is no spec on journal sizes for big ends and mains like oil ckearance
And minimum sizes of journals etc
Anybody that can help me with it please

Hate to be the bearer of unwanted news but it needs to be said. Journal sizes on the mains and conrod journals can vary due to forging and then machining. Quite often if/when the factory grind up the journals, they would stamp the counterweights to indicate a journal that might be .010- .020" under. You can never depend on the journal sizes and you need to mic them up.
Not sure why you want this info. What you should be doing is plastigauge the conrod journal clearances and the main clearances as per pages 187 and 188 of the service manual and if you need bearings, there are markings on the conrod and the counterweights and based on those markings, there's a chart in the manual (page 187) telling you based on the markings, which bearings to buy

Hope this helps,
KB

Crankshaft journal sizes 5 years 5 days ago #23650

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Just to add to what has been said.

I bought crankshaft journal bearings according to markings on the crank case and the crank shaft (both are from different engines). I chose these bearings following a table in the manual, and were 'black' in my case.
Next - used plastigauge to check the clearances. I think this is the best direct method to see what is happening. In my case, the clearances were 0.038 mm in all except one, which was about 0.043 mm in my estimate (stator side).
The service limit per manual is 0.1 mm (and connecting rod big end 0.1 mm as well). Having my clearances measured using correct and new bearings for this particular crank case and crank shaft pair, considering that the crank shaft is not new and hypothetically worn a bit (looks smooth and nice), the conclusion for me is these clearances are about what correct clearances should be, and there is still lots of life for this engine.

Crankshaft journal sizes 5 years 3 days ago #23665

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Attachments:

Crankshaft journal sizes 5 years 2 days ago #23673

• stunter01
  • stunter01's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks kawboy and stan
This helps a lot i know where to look for the markings on the casing and crankshaft. What would be the minimum crearance between the journal and bearings i see that max is 0.1mm
Thanks for the replies

Crankshaft journal sizes 5 years 2 days ago #23678

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027

stunter01 wrote: Thanks kawboy and stan
This helps a lot i know where to look for the markings on the casing and crankshaft. What would be the minimum crearance between the journal and bearings i see that max is 0.1mm
Thanks for the replies

Clearances are on page 187 and 188 of the service manual. If you don't have one, go to the Home page of this website and download the manual (free).

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds