Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

New Guy in the Mountains 5 years 3 months ago #22811

• propav8r
  • propav8r's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 33
Hi all, I wanted to drop in and say hello since I'm now a member of your illustrious ranks. Name's Jared, and I live in Franklin, NC, in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains. I've been interested in vintage motorcycles for several years now, and have a few projects under my belt including my '78 GL1000, a '72 H2, '78 XL350, '87 Shadow 1100, and a few others. My current project is an '82 CBX, and now, a beautiful '79 KZ1300.

I purchased this bike from an acquaintance, who in turn bought it at an estate sale. According to the sticker on the plate, the bike has been off the road since 1991. However, it is in absolutely incredible condition, at least cosmetically. The paint isn't faded, there's not a single blemish on the bodywork, and even under the seat looks like it could've come out of the showroom yesterday.

As we all know, threads are worthless without pics, so here we go.

I'm really blown away by the condition this bike is in. The only part I'm missing is the upper airbox that connects to the carbs.

I'm out of town for work at the moment, but I'll have some time to dedicate to it this weekend.

It doesn't run, and I haven't tried to start it. Gonna change the oil first and get a fresh battery, and then try to fire it. I believe it was stored dry. The carbs move freely, and I dropped a bowl off and the one i checked is nice and clean. I'd love it if I was able to just give it gas and a battery and start it!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Guy in the Mountains 5 years 3 months ago #22812

• Raygun
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 17
Absolutely beautiful. Nice find and welcome!
1982 KZ1300
2003 KLX400SR
1999 KDX220
Wife
Son
Daughter
Cat x 3

New Guy in the Mountains 5 years 3 months ago #22813

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the bike! I looks stunning! Incredible to be in this condition sitting for over 25 years, and be able to buy it!
It's fun doing a project and seeing things turning from rusty to shiny and going on a bike. But attempting to see if such an old bike will run I find very exciting.
I'd definitely change oil, filter and flash and fill the radiator with water to start with. Check the air filter, spark plugs, and the tank. I'd remove that tank, flush it with some fuel and see what comes out of the disconnected line, and remove the petcock to see what's what's at the bottom and to clean the filter. Battery of course. Then - fire it up! Of course you are experience and know these things. Post a video of the first start when you get to it!

Stan

New Guy in the Mountains 5 years 3 months ago #22814

• stocktoy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 91
Welcome to the group, what a beautiful find you won't regret this one (get a DG 6 into 1 pipe for it)

New Guy in the Mountains 5 years 3 months ago #22815

• bluefan44
  • Thank you received: 4
Great find! Please walk us through anything you need to do to get it running! I'm having issues getting mine to stay running and would love to see what you do.

New Guy in the Mountains 5 years 3 months ago #22816

• BigSix
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 224
Welcome to the forum, thanks for the pics. Stunning original condition, please try and keep it that way as they are too rare.

regards from Switzerland,
Holger
Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe

Last edit: by BigSix.
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds