Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

New Member 5 years 5 months ago #21595

• Vilhelm
  • Vilhelm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Hello folks,
I am from Denmark and have just joined the forum. I have had two Z 1300. One 1979 model about 20 years ago and recently I bought one again, this time a 1980 A1 model Very original and good looking. However I intend to do a complete engine stripdown during the winter. Mainly because there is much mechanical noise from the gearbox. Maybe it is normal, but I think it is a little to much, so I suspect the primary and secondary chains to be worn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Member 5 years 5 months ago #21663

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Welcome to the Forum. Looking forward to seeing your purchase and following your progress.
We are here to help.

New Member 5 years 5 months ago #21664

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Welcome! I'm just curious, could you post a video of the noise you are talking about?

New Member 5 years 4 months ago #21709

• Vilhelm
  • Vilhelm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Thank you Kawboy and StanG for the welcome. I feel to be among friends here
As to the noise. I am not sure I can post a video. To me the noise sounds as chain noise. I believe Hy-vo chains are noisey by nature, so maybe it is OK. Unfortunately I do not know other Z1300 owners nearby, so we can compare sound. However as I plan for a long trip through Europe next summer, I want no trouble with the engine, so I think it best to dismantle it this winter to check everything is OK and for the peace of mind. In fact I look forward to strip the engine. I have overhauled many engines though never a 6 cyl. Kawa and I like doing that sort of work.

New Member 5 years 4 months ago #21710

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
For peace of mind Vilhelm, you could pull off the oil pan and check the chains from below. McBoney just did this and has decided to pull the engine apart and install new chains.
He posted this video vimeo.com/295046653 and you can see the secondary chain slop. I believe the allowable up down movement is 21mm?? the spec is in the service manual and I'm just stating the 21mm off of the top of my head

The .primary chain is a little harder to measure but still doable it too is either 21 or 22 mm up/down movement. Here's his video of that slop vimeo.com/295046483

Last edit: by Kawboy.

New Member 5 years 4 months ago #21716

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Both 21 mm as far as I know.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds