Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

Chrome 6 years 3 months ago #18592

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
The A3 was the first version to have chromed engine covers and air box covers, I do believe.

For air box covers, why not 'push the boat out' and buy some of Lauri's ( he's a member of this forum) beautiful stainless steel ones? Expensive, yes. But fabulous quality which will last a lifetime. I bought a pair of his replica stainless steel mufflers, and they are astounding.

Here are the air box covers:
www.kawasaki1300parts.com/products/air-box-covers-polished/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chrome 6 years 2 months ago #18596

• LareNurminen
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 162
Thanks for the recommendation. I had my A4 covers rechromed about 5 years ago via Helmut (z1300.de) Ask him if he still offers that service, I recall the cost was under 600 Euros for both side covers, clutch cover, starter cover and some small bits.
The following user(s) said Thank You: whistlers mother

Chrome 6 years 2 months ago #18601

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I wish I could chrome the air box cover now that I have them, but it's difficult with plastic. I've seen the spray on chrome videos on Youtube, but I don't thing it's available at low cost for DIY. Anyone has experience with the 'chrome' spray cans?

Chrome 6 years 2 months ago #18602

• whistlers mother
  • whistlers mother's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Stan love your project mate it makes mine look like a 5 minute job ! I’ve decided to make my own airbox covers . I’ve got 1.5mm steel plate . Did a rough template from card first , messed up a few times but got something pretty near the originals I reckon . I’ll get them chromed along with my silencers and possibly the engine covers . No amount of polishing the covers will get them like chrome . I believe they need copper playing first followed by nickle . Not seen chrome spray here in UK but spraying plastic car bumpers here involved using a rubberised paint I believe . Anyway keep up the good work , Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Chrome 6 years 2 months ago #18603

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Awesome Mark, and guess what - now having these two covers taking measurements is easy! I am going to make my own from stainless and chrome plate them. Yes, process after taking off all the layers is from bare bones copper, nickel and chrome. Actually, I have a 5k worth of chemicals and equipment sitting in storage to do just that and anodize, but no place to do that. A friend of mine bought it, but our plan to make a shop fell short for now. All I know it can be done. But plastics are difficult. They use a vacuum chamber I think to have aluminum molecules attached, then clear coat, not easy. How would you address the 'knobs' (how do you call those things?) that keep the covers attached? Fabricate from a solid rod and weld them on?

Chrome 6 years 2 months ago #18605

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

BigSix wrote: Hi Mark
none of them had been chromed in OEM. SOme I know had theirs chromed, however it is risky at the chrome plating might drop of later. I had mine trowalized which gave excellent resulst and made them somehow a bit more resistant against water-staines and oxidation.
Holger

Pretty sure some North American models came with Chromed covers from the factory - maybe that was on Voyager models ? (my 86 Voyager does not have chromed covers). I've certainly seens lots for sale over the years - with the chrome mostly flaked off.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds