kz1300 banner

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Chrome

Chrome 1 year 3 months ago #18592

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Thank you received: 121
The A3 was the first version to have chromed engine covers and air box covers, I do believe.

For air box covers, why not 'push the boat out' and buy some of Lauri's ( he's a member of this forum) beautiful stainless steel ones? Expensive, yes. But fabulous quality which will last a lifetime. I bought a pair of his replica stainless steel mufflers, and they are astounding.

Here are the air box covers:
www.kawasaki1300parts.com/products/air-box-covers-polished/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chrome 1 year 3 months ago #18596

• LareNurminen
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 105
Thanks for the recommendation. I had my A4 covers rechromed about 5 years ago via Helmut (z1300.de) Ask him if he still offers that service, I recall the cost was under 600 Euros for both side covers, clutch cover, starter cover and some small bits.
The following user(s) said Thank You: whistlers mother

Chrome 1 year 3 months ago #18601

• StanG
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Thank you received: 200
I wish I could chrome the air box cover now that I have them, but it's difficult with plastic. I've seen the spray on chrome videos on Youtube, but I don't thing it's available at low cost for DIY. Anyone has experience with the 'chrome' spray cans?
1982 Kawasaki KZ1300 A4
Building an engine from random parts. This will eventually morph into building a bike from random parts - if it ever happens. Need a frame to begin with.

Chrome 1 year 3 months ago #18602

• whistlers mother
  • whistlers mother's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Sixer
  • Junior Sixer
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Stan love your project mate it makes mine look like a 5 minute job ! I’ve decided to make my own airbox covers . I’ve got 1.5mm steel plate . Did a rough template from card first , messed up a few times but got something pretty near the originals I reckon . I’ll get them chromed along with my silencers and possibly the engine covers . No amount of polishing the covers will get them like chrome . I believe they need copper playing first followed by nickle . Not seen chrome spray here in UK but spraying plastic car bumpers here involved using a rubberised paint I believe . Anyway keep up the good work , Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Chrome 1 year 3 months ago #18603

• StanG
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Thank you received: 200
Awesome Mark, and guess what - now having these two covers taking measurements is easy! I am going to make my own from stainless and chrome plate them. Yes, process after taking off all the layers is from bare bones copper, nickel and chrome. Actually, I have a 5k worth of chemicals and equipment sitting in storage to do just that and anodize, but no place to do that. A friend of mine bought it, but our plan to make a shop fell short for now. All I know it can be done. But plastics are difficult. They use a vacuum chamber I think to have aluminum molecules attached, then clear coat, not easy. How would you address the 'knobs' (how do you call those things?) that keep the covers attached? Fabricate from a solid rod and weld them on?
1982 Kawasaki KZ1300 A4
Building an engine from random parts. This will eventually morph into building a bike from random parts - if it ever happens. Need a frame to begin with.

Chrome 1 year 3 months ago #18605

• Bucko
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Platinum Sixer
  • Thank you received: 82

BigSix wrote: Hi Mark
none of them had been chromed in OEM. SOme I know had theirs chromed, however it is risky at the chrome plating might drop of later. I had mine trowalized which gave excellent resulst and made them somehow a bit more resistant against water-staines and oxidation.
Holger

Pretty sure some North American models came with Chromed covers from the factory - maybe that was on Voyager models ? (my 86 Voyager does not have chromed covers). I've certainly seens lots for sale over the years - with the chrome mostly flaked off.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds