Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

Hi from uk 6 years 3 months ago #18252

• Viper
  • Viper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi , just joined the site with a view to buying a decent z1300 that I've seen for sale. I've had plenty of bike kawasakis over the years but never the mighty six. Riding a versys 1000 at the moment , previous bike was a zzr1200 and a gtr1400

Will ask some questions once I get settled in

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi from uk 6 years 3 months ago #18261

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 240
Welcome, Viper. Where in the UK are you?
Please tell us all about the 1300 when you get it, and post some photos too. It would be nice to hear what originally attracted you to this model.
Is it a bike that requires restoration/? If you need any advice, you will find members here who have astounding technical abilities and knowledge, and are willing to impart that in a friendly, helpful manner. You need that resource, when owning one of these old and quite rare machines.
Best wishes.

Hi from uk 6 years 3 months ago #18262

• McZee
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 42
Hi Viper.
There are a few of us Brits on this forum, I'm in sunny Scotland so my 1300 is tucked away in the shed until spring time.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Viper

Hi from uk 6 years 3 months ago #18264

• Viper
  • Viper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Manchester
The bike is a 79 KZ . It's for sale at a Kawasaki main dealer , it's actually being sold by the head mechanic , its his personal bike . I've had a good long conversation with him and have his story on what has been done to the bike. Cosmetically it is very good and would not require any work at all. Mechanics , it's had a top end overhaul, originally the water pump gear split and when he took the head off he decoked it and did the valve seats. He overhauled the carbs and put in a new jet kit for the uk. The engine runs sweet, I've not ridden it . The mechanic says the gearbox is noisy on de-acceleration which is normal. Not sure if it has the larger sump retro fitted.
The only fear I have is if something really expensive should fail in the future , he said that the water pump nylon cog is no longer made and he has to pay £700 to have one 3D printed from a high grave nylon. How many other terminal parts are there that can't be purchased anymore ?.
Would appreciate any comments on the gearbox comment, he volunteered that part

Last edit: by Viper.

Hi from uk 6 years 3 months ago #18266

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027

Viper wrote: Manchester
The bike is a 79 KZ . It's for sale at a Kawasaki main dealer , it's actually being sold by the head mechanic , its his personal bike . I've had a good long conversation with him and have his story on what has been done to the bike. Cosmetically it is very good and would not require any work at all. Mechanics , it's had a top end overhaul, originally the water pump gear split and when he took the head off he decoked it and did the valve seats. He overhauled the carbs and put in a new jet kit for the uk. The engine runs sweet, I've not ridden it . The mechanic says the gearbox is noisy on de-acceleration which is normal. Not sure if it has the larger sump retro fitted.
The only fear I have is if something really expensive should fail in the future , he said that the water pump nylon cog is no longer made and he has to pay £700 to have one 3D printed from a high grave nylon. How many other terminal parts are there that can't be purchased anymore ?.
Would appreciate any comments on the gearbox comment, he volunteered that part

The first question is "How many miles (or kilometers) are on the bike? That will speak to the "noise" in the bottom end.

Hi from uk 6 years 3 months ago #18278

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Hi Viper, (from another UK Z13 owner)
Re Parts, whilst spares are not as easy to find as for some of the popular classics (Z1, Suzuki GT750, RD Yams etc) and there are a few "no longer abavailable" bits, you can usually find those hard to locate parts for the Z13 if you keep looking. There's always eBay, and Z-Power and Zed-Parts in the UK list a lot of new parts and services, also DK Motorcycles sell loads of used parts from bikes they break. Further afield MCG in Germany do loads of parts (including refurb service for water pump cogs).

If the bike is well running, been looked after and has a proven history it sounds like a nice starting point.

Cheers and good luck with your search for a Z13.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.

Time to create page: 0.591 seconds