Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Header wrap ? 7 years 2 months ago #15489

• rdbhere2
  • rdbhere2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 9
Whi had wrapped their headers? How many feet of 2" header wrap do I need to wrap 6 head pipes?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Header wrap ? 7 years 2 months ago #15491

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
I've read some reports and have talked to an Automotive supplier who confirmed that at least several well known manufacturers of car/truck headers will not honor their warranty if header wrap is used on their product. As I understand it: the increased heat within the headers creates supper-heated exhaust gases that will scour the inside of the pipes which can cause premature failure due to burn through. If this is the case then this might also apply to a header on our bikes.

www.centuryperformance.com as an example, has an article on this topic. Like all topics there are contradictory opinions, so it's up to the end-user to determine what is in their best interest.

Having made this point I might suggest an alternative, which is what I chose to do. My concern for "wrapping" wasn't for the soul purpose of "performance" or a "race/performance" appearance. It was to stop the massive collector from cooking the oil due to it's proximity to the oil pan. I used a 2" wrap from the collector, back to the last bend. Some S/S C/V boot clamps hold it in place. It took ONE LENGHT of about 25' to double-wrap this section. The insulating value allows me to touch the wrap which is now only very "warm". The oil temp runs at least 5 degrees cooler (according to my gauge), which satisfies the goal.

Food for thought!
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: rdbhere2

Last edit: by scotch.

Header wrap ? 7 years 2 months ago #15494

• rdbhere2
  • rdbhere2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 9
I'm wrapping my headers so my bike runs cooler. I've read in the threads the radiator will be a lot cooler if the heads are wrapped. so.....

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds