Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

1985 DFI z1300 starting trouble 7 years 7 months ago #14566

• Havers
  • Havers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi z1300 members,

I am a new member and would appreciate some suggestions to assist me working out my starting issues. I am not a trained mechanic just a back yard enthusiast.

Basically the bike was purchased not running but after getting it home and playing around with a few different things I did have the bike running briefly although only at fast idle for a few minutes and when I blipped the throttle it would bog down and stall and start it again after cranking for a while and it would fire up. Since that day a few weeks ago I cant get it to fire again at all.

So after messing around with it for past few weeks thought i would see if any on the forum can offer some suggestions.

The bike has a new aftermarket generic bosch fuel pump, one way check valve in fuel return line, adjustable fuel regulator and had the injectors cleaned which seem to be spraying fine hooked up to the bike. I have got spark and compression test reads 110 psi cold. DFI scan seems fine with no warning signs etc.

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1985 DFI z1300 starting trouble 7 years 7 months ago #14572

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Hello mate,

As it seems you are already aware, you really only need 3 things to get most engines to run in a fashion.

Compression, Spark and Fuel.

You then need to look at the timing of all 3 and then look deeper into things like the quality of spark etc.

Make sure everything is clean and free moving in the fuel system (filters pipes etc) and check the quality of the spark with a spare plug in each plug cap........just to make sure the spark is present and ok.

Also ensure the fuel is FRESH and not old as petrol goes off quite quickly as its a natural product.

Its also worth looking at the side stand and clutch switches, as if one is not working correctly it will prevent you getting the bike started. Ensure your battery is FULLY charged to give all 3 coils the best power possible.

After the above...........we need to dig a bit deeper.

Keep us updated.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

1985 DFI z1300 starting trouble 7 years 6 months ago #14577

• Havers
Thanks for the response ,

So by way of update no luck starting just yet but can cross a few more items of the list;

- have checked the timing with strobe light eventhough I dont think its adjustable with the DFI setup on this bike but it seems to be reading at TDC mark anyway
- tried starting with a spary of starter fluid in the inlets a few times to isolate potential fuel problem but still didnt fire
- Had a look at the wiring around coils, side stand and all looks tidy there

Im starting to become convinced its a spark/ignition issue so next thing is to potentially replace HT leads and caps to see if that helps in any way

Attached a couple of pics of bike (outfit in previous life) last registered in 2003

Will keep trying
Attachments:

1985 DFI z1300 starting trouble 7 years 6 months ago #14578

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
If it did not "kick" at all with starter fluid...........there must not be a spark as it would have fired, even if it was at the wrong time.

As the bike has stood for a while, its worth checking things like the kill switch and block connectors.

I AM ASSUMING YOU HAVE THE SECURITY SWITCH AT THE SEAT CATCH IN THE "RUN" POSITION AT THIS POINT ????? (common error with new owners) !
:ohmy:

Remove an HT Lead from each coil and chop 10mm off each end and re-attach to the coil and screw plug cap back on.
Put a good spark plug in the cap and rest the tip on a good clean part of the engine and hit the starter button.
Tell us if you see any form of spark at the plug ??

Do this with each of the 3 coils. This will define if the coils are being sent any signal / feed.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Last edit: by strate6.

1985 DFI z1300 starting trouble 7 years 6 months ago #14584

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Since you are a newby to the land of the mighty KZ, you should have a read through the FAQ section of the Forum. One thing that you will find in there is a reference to the issues with the ignition coils. Most of our members have found that the coil housings are cracked from the heat of the engine and the age of the coils. Usually, the KZ's have been sold due to the lack of trust of the bikes and a lot of them have been rectified just by changing out the coils.

1985 DFI z1300 starting trouble 7 years 5 months ago #14889

• Havers
hello its me again and unfortunately bike still hasnt started from all those months ago.

So decided to take a look at cam timing and valve clearances as a desperate attempt to see if that would turn up anything.

Would appreciate some guidance on what the correct cam timing position should be for a 1985 DFI model because from what I have read on the site mine doesnt look right.

Pictures attached showing T mark lining up with notch on pick ups and a couple of picks showing dot marks on exhaust and intake cams.

I am confused by exhaust cam dot marking because its at least 2 links abelow lining up with cam cover level when intake is at cam cover level .

I have counted 19 links between exhaust dot back to first dot on intake

Does this mean timing is whay out? engine spins freely but just wont fire and have spark, tested coils and fuel etc

Thoughts are much appreciated

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds