Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

Carbon Build-up 7 years 7 months ago #14151

• hillsy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 25
The Colortone sets your mixture for idle - it doesn't do much for the rest of the rev range.

Where are your needles set? Maybe drop them down a clip to see if it leans things out (it's the only other thing you can adjust without buying jets, etc, so its worth a try).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yaegunp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carbon Build-up 7 years 7 months ago #14153

• Yaegunp
  • Yaegunp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32
I am running a bit short of time today and would like to get these photos up for people to consider and hopefully comment on. I will post the exhaust cylinders first and post the rest in a following post, so here goes!!

Cyl 1

Cyl 2

Cyl 3

Cyl 4

Cyl 5

Cyl 6
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

Carbon Build-up 7 years 7 months ago #14154

• Yaegunp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
These are the 'journals' I think are clogging up. These journals go up into the cylinder head cover. For those of you with the 'Clean System' and get vented out the top of the cover. In my case it goes nowhere, maybe it recirculates. Two photos one of a journal which is not too bad and the other which looks much narrower due to the build up. Wondering if this is a cause of uneven air fuel mixture??

Not too bad.

Not too good.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Yaegunp.

Carbon Build-up 7 years 7 months ago #14155

• Yaegunp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Last time I measured the compression was with the motor hot, this time I measured the compression with the motor virtually cold.

All measured at 150 except for No. 3 which was out of spec at 130psi. I am trying to work out if I have to go deeper into the engine to establish root cause(s).

Pistons Right

Pistons Left

Gasket Side 1

Gasket Side 2
Attachments:

Last edit: by Yaegunp.

Carbon Build-up 7 years 7 months ago #14156

• Yaegunp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

RickG wrote: The #3 piston being clean usually means coolant is getting in and that is usually the head gasket failing when you get that.
At the 1.45 mark it shows the valve seat of I think #5 and that valve is not seating properly, probably just general wear and tear as the others arent exactly good.
the #5 combustion chamber has quite a lot of soot which means that a rich mix is present.
The seal remnants is most likely the cause of the ticking but I think you probably figured that out.
You ask about the black maybe being a carbon build up, I couldn't get a good look but more likely remains of a head gasket.
I cant comment much past the 2.10 mark because I have a slow and limited download on a satelite connection and it dropped out and I decided not to reload it. I am running very short of megabites this month.

Hi Rick, posted some photos in another post which should be kinder to your internet allowance. ;) There are no usual signs of radiator fluid in the oil, maybe it is evaporated before it can mix?? Also some photos of the carbon build up I referred to - .

Regards
Paul

Carbon Build-up 7 years 7 months ago #14157

• hillsy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 25

Yaegunp wrote: I am trying to work out if I have to go deeper into the engine to establish root cause(s).

I don't think there's anything in the bottom end that will need attention for your carbon problem, however, you have disturbed the base gasket now and you should replace that (or else oil leaks will be likely). And anyway, you should clean up those pistons tops while you're here.

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds