Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

Hi from Aberdeen, Scotland 7 years 7 months ago #13787

• Fraserc
  • Fraserc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi guys,

I've had a 1979 Z1300A1 for about 4 years. Bought it, rode it home, stripped it, painted the engine and a few other bits and am only now getting round to putting it back together !

I have always loved the look of the early bikes and mine will be kept as original as possible. Frame and all panels are still in original paint and the rest is just being tidied up.

I have just accessed the tech forum and it helped me fix a real head scratcher with the main stand bolts which I could not get to move. I eventually rigged a 2T bottle jack between them and pressed them out......what a hassle !

So hope to have it together again in the next few weeks and look forward to some good involvement with the forum.

Cheers
Fraser

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi from Aberdeen 7 years 7 months ago #13794

• Fraserc
  • Fraserc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Just joined as I am getting round to putting my 1979 z1300A1 back together after starting the refurb about four years ago.

I bought the bike, rode it home and pulled the engine for a repaint and the intention of a mild tidy up. Four years later, she is part of my collection which has grown and grown and eventually here we go. One job which frustrated me was removing the main stand. The bolt were free turning but would not budge. I search the forum here to find the cause and came up with a cunning plan which worked a treat. A two tonne bottle jack between the bolts pressed them out smoothly without resorting to big hammers, or dremmels.

My plan is to keep the bike as close to original as possible. The frame and bodywork are all still original paint. I have a near NOS seat for it and a few other newish or refurbed parts to fit. The only thing which is letting it down are the exhaust headers so may have to invest at some time once she is back up and running.

The bike is a very early UK A1 with the flat top cam covers. I haven't seen another so would be interested to hear from anyone who has a similar bike.

Looking forward to being an active member.

Cheers Fraser

Hi from Aberdeen 7 years 7 months ago #13796

• Mark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27
Welcome Fraser, there's a few of us Brits on here so you will be in good company even though you are North of the Border. Best you get busy and lets get another one up and running on the road
17 years a Z13 owner at present 3 x A1's and an A4

Hi from Aberdeen 7 years 7 months ago #13798

• charlie9670
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13
Hi and welcome from Merseyside, you've come to the right place :)
:) Z13 UK

Hi from Aberdeen 7 years 7 months ago #13800

• kwak1261
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
Welcome from the south east, 4 years is a long restoration, another 2 years might see it finished.
:whistle: :whistle:
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

Hi from Aberdeen 7 years 7 months ago #13801

• charlie9670
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13
That kind of talk helps me at the moment. if getting an old 13 sorted was easy it wouldn't be worth it...repeat :dry:
:) Z13 UK

Last edit: by charlie9670.
Time to create page: 0.829 seconds