Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

Head Gasket 7 years 9 months ago #13176

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
I have fitted well over 15 head gaskets to different 1300's over the last 30 years to my own and other peoples bikes.
You can feel and see the superior quality when you look at them and its obvious in your photos which is best.

I was once asked to rebuild an engine for someone who had bought a full pattern gasket kit including a pattern head gasket and it went together ok and ran for about 500 miles.........then started leaking water from the head gasket. Took it off and fitted a genuine K gasket and its still running now without problems. Complete false economy........but he was warned in advance and it DID happen !!

I ALWAYS use genuine manufacturer HEAD GASKETS on every engine, not just Kawasaki Z1300's as they are far superior to pattern parts.........but all other engine gaskets are fine as pattern parts.

There are a few other good tips on fitting a head and gasket, including a smear of oil on the base of the head nuts so they do not grind when being torqued down. Obviously the head nut torque settings and tightening sequence are also vital for a good fitting. Also make sure the 2 little rubber blocks are placed properly on the idler gear shaft ends in the middle of the head as these can move during fitting.

Just fit gasket it as it is.......as the Kawasaki Manual states..........dont add anything to it......it does not need it.

Let us know how you get on mate !

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlie9670

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by strate6.

Head Gasket 7 years 9 months ago #13179

• Petez13
  • Petez13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks for the replys, I'm exactly the same and have a gasket kit that brings a none genuine head gasket and ordered the genuine gasket as well, and clear to see the difference.
Would kawasaki have agreed to produce these gaskets in recent years as they don't look old at all.
I think I will follow your advise on this one Pete as mentioned once I opened the packet the gasket feels sticky, so will clean both surfaces with petrol and keep my fingers crossed.
Cheers Pete.

Head Gasket 7 years 9 months ago #13181

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Pete,

When I stated clean both METAL surfaces in my earleir post, I was refering to the Head Surface and the Cylinder Block surface...............not the gasket !

The gasket is actually meant to have a sticky surface to protect it..........so leave as is and dont clean it with anything !

Pete F
UK

Head Gasket 7 years 9 months ago #13183

• Petez13
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Yes, I did realise that, I was referring to the head and cylinder surfaces.
Btw do you bother to re-torque the head down after a run in period or is that not nessacery?
Cheers Pete

Head Gasket 7 years 9 months ago #13187

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Pete,

I always do after 1000 or so miles, its well worth it.

I also check all the shim tollerances too whilst the cam cover is off as it doesnt take long.

Good luck mate.

Pete F
Uk

Head Gasket 7 years 9 months ago #13188

• Petez13
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Ok thnx for that,
Better get cracking then, bike is meant to be taking the wife and myself to the Algarve for the annual bike rally (Faro) 14th July.
Cheers Pete

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds