Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

Prospective owner with a few questions 7 years 10 months ago #12673

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
I'm in the process of rebuilding a 79 kz1300. So far its taken 2.5 bikes to make one. One engine was worn out and bottom end parts are hard to find and quite expensive. The 81 bottom end was incompatible with the 79 top end so I ended up sourcing a low mileage engine. So far I've spent well over $7000. I had some bad luck and I'm not much of a mechanic... plus I made some mistakes along the way. I'll probably make some more before its over.

You've come to the right place for help and advice. I would have given up a long time ago if it weren't for some of the people here. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. I certainly have.

Here is mine so far. Lots more to do but I'm getting some riding in and loving it.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Prospective owner with a few questions 7 years 10 months ago #12675

• benspilk09
  • benspilk09's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Well, I ended up bringing it home. $1200 isn't bad for a decent looking and running bike in my opinion. Seems mechanically sound, fires right up and runs smooth.

Brakes need gone through bad, I cant get good lever feel in the front and the pads are contaminated with fork oil. Rear shocks are also leaking, differential may be as well.

Here's how it looked when I loaded it up:

Took the luggage and fairing off and changed the bars. LOTS of cleaning and tidying up to do. About all I want to do now is find some kind of UJM style rear fender to it, get a little nicer looking seat, 6-1 exhaust/tune, and get lights/gauges working on it. Tons of maintenance to do as well.

I'll be making a for sale thread if anyone wants the luggage and fairings. Its all in decent shape, no cracks in anything except for the top case.

Last edit: by benspilk09.

Prospective owner with a few questions 7 years 10 months ago #12676

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Well that was fast. No, $1200 isn't a bad price. Have a look at this thread:

www.kz1300.com/index.php/forum/daily-cha...a-bit-of-cleaning-up

There is moss growing on it and he's asking $1500. I don't think it runs lol.

Welcome to the club :)

Last edit: by Ledkz1300.

Prospective owner with a few questions 7 years 10 months ago #12679

• kwak1261
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
looking better already..
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

Prospective owner with a few questions 7 years 8 months ago #13630

• benspilk09
  • benspilk09's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0

KZQ wrote:

benspilk09 wrote: ...Is the exhaust the reason for the radiator relocation?

No The DG system fits fine behind the radiator.
Bill

Do you have any more pictures of your exhaust install? I'm having trouble fitting my DG 6-1 on my bike.

I've got the headers all on, they look right, but there's no way I'm going to be able to slide the collector over them. There's a couple that are a hair out of line and not letting it slip over.

Did you have to bend any or trim the case guard brackets off the frame?

Prospective owner with a few questions 7 years 8 months ago #13632

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
If you can't get the collector on you have the pipes oriented wrong. Do you have the sheet of paper showing which pipes go into which hole? Also, the pipes and the collector are also numbered.

Leave the bolts at the head just tight enough so they don't fall out. Make sure the right pipe is line up with the right hole and start maneuvering them into place. As they line up, give them a tap with a dead blow hammer. A little bit of grease in the holes helps and it will burn off. Once the holes are all lined up and starting to seat, slowly tap each one in. If you try putting each one all the way in it makes it harder for the rest. A little bit at a time. It took a couple of rides and some more tapping to get them all seated 100%.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds