Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

Prospective owner with a few questions 7 years 10 months ago #12636

• benspilk09
  • benspilk09's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

I've always wanted one of these 1300 kawasaki 6's and stumbled across an '86 Voyager on craigslist for $1200. Guy says it runs good and doesn't have any rust in the tank, looks clean in the pictures. Full dress really isn't my thing, plan would be to strip it and turn it into a vmax style muscle cruiser (mostly stock) or something styled like a naked KZ1300/ZRX1200

Is $1200 a good price for a decent running ZN1300?

If they're in good shape, are the fairings/luggage worth anything on ebay/craigslist?

Anything I really need to look out for on one of these big 6's?

Is the frame geometry (rake/trail) and wheel sizes the same between the voyager and KZ1300? Or would it look dumb stripped?

How is the fuel injection setup to work with tuning wise for exhaust? I would want a 6-1 exhaust eventually because these engines just sound beautiful uncorked.

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Prospective owner with a few questions 7 years 10 months ago #12637

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Hi Ben,
Welcome to KZ1300.COM!

A number of us have done what you suggested. The frames are quite different than the KZs or Zs of the same vintage.
Here's a pic of my as still unfinished project bike.

It's my intention to remove the fairing once I'm satisfied with the fuel injection setup.

Regards
Bill

PS. The radiator is mounted where the left side saddle bag used to be.
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Last edit: by KZQ.

Prospective owner with a few questions 7 years 10 months ago #12640

• Tyler
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
The Voyagers are quite a bit different both esthetically and mechanically from the 1300's.

A 100% complete, running and driving Voyager for $1200 sounds like a pretty good deal. There are some drawbacks to what you want to do, and some advantages. Here is my take on your question.

Disadvantages:

1. Its not a 1300, it's a voyager, it will never look like a naked 1300.
2. You are in for a lot of work to convert it to a naked bike.
3. Its going to cost some money to convert it.
4. You will have to fabricate parts to do what you want.
5. It will be a customized voyager and will not have the value of a 1300 when you are done.

Advantages:

1. Cheap initial price compared to a 1300.
2. Upgraded engine - the voyagers are the last version of the 6 cylinder engine and have all the mechanical/electrical upgrades
3. Fuel injection - The system is pretty well sorted out and as long as it works its a nice system.
4. You could leave it alone and have yourself a very nice touring machine... just a thought.

I would say if your in the US just wait for the right 1300 project to pop up near you, patience will pay off in the long run. I would also add that more often than not, the "project costs" of repairs and modifications exceed the purchase price of the bike, so it really can pay off to buy what you want.

Though, you may like that Voyager for what it is, and that is a good price if the bike is in good condition. If its a "custom" project your looking for then make sure the bike is mechanically sound. Ask for a service record etc. if you go and see it.
1981 KZ1300

Last edit: by Tyler.

Prospective owner with a few questions 7 years 10 months ago #12643

• 6cylinder
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 13
this is what I do to voyagers, I have three of them, all will end up looking some what the same.. I say buy it and strip that ugly cruiser down.

millers auto electric
Attachments:

Prospective owner with a few questions 7 years 10 months ago #12644

• benspilk09
  • benspilk09's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks guys, I think I've convinced myself to pass on this one as it doesn't seem to be what I want. Looks like I could spend ~2-3000 on a naked KZ and not have to do much to it as opposed to dumping a ton of time into the voyager.

I'm mainly put off by the low seat and how much different the subframe is, I would want a flatter seat on it and it would take some cutting/welding which I hate to do to a complete bike like that. Looks like the forks are raked out more than the KZ too, though I can't find any numbers for the geometry of the voyager.

I haven't seen anyone with a 6-1 exhaust on a voyager either, is there a reason for this? The DG system would be a must have for me

Prospective owner with a few questions 7 years 10 months ago #12645

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274

benspilk09 wrote: ...I haven't seen anyone with a 6-1 exhaust on a voyager either, is there a reason for this? The DG system would be a must have for me

Take another look at my Voyager above.
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds