Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

Oil light on 8 years 6 months ago #9496

• Tyler
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
In addition to oil pressure Kawasaki added an oil level sensor '81 onwards. I don't know where it triggers but one would hope its before the oil is too low in sump for the oil pickup.

I would not run a 1300 near the bottom oil fill line anyway, should be closer to the top line on the center stand.
1981 KZ1300

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Tyler.

Oil light on 8 years 6 months ago #9497

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1028

Tyler wrote: In addition to oil pressure Kawasaki added an oil level sensor '81 onwards. I don't know where it triggers but one would hope its before the oil is too low in sump for the oil pickup.

I would not run a 1300 near the bottom oil fill line anyway, should be closer to the top line on the center stand.

Nice catch Tyler. Looks like the sensor is sitting on top of the oil filter housing in the oil pan. It appears to be running in parallel in the wiring with the oil pressure switch, so if the oil light comes on you wouldn't know if it's the oil level switch or the oil pressure switch that kicked in. You would still need to shut down the motor as soon as safely possible and figure it out.

Oil light on 8 years 6 months ago #9500

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Oil level indicator works with just the key on, not engine running, if oil light comes on when the engine is running she's low or no oil pressure, I have the level indicator in my sump but no wiring, '79 with a bigger sump
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

Oil light on 8 years 6 months ago #9503

• LareNurminen
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 162
Hi,

The 1981 and onwards oil level indicator is located inside the oil sump and has an external relay connected to it. The relay is located under the seat, close to the little locker underneath the back end of the seat. The relay has a memory function, which means that once the sensor has sensed low level, it will keep the oil light burning even though the pressure is OK.
Mine went on just after I had assembled and started the engine on my -81 and scared the crap out of me. With mechanical pressure gauge I made sure that the oil pressure was OK. The level sensor has no real function as I see it.
I ended up taking the relay off and have run the bike 17.000 miles since without any problems.
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim

Oil light on 8 years 6 months ago #9509

• AERIAL0
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Check your oil pressure switch is not shorting down to earth? Mine did due to when engine got hot and expanded the spade contact shorted to earth. Worth checking.

Oil light on 8 years 6 months ago #9519

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
The oil level sensor on the 1300 has always been a bit "twitchy" to say the least.
Your far better off using the site glass and keep oil level near the top.
Its just a bullet connector on the back of the sump above the oil filter to disconnect, or remove relay as someone said earlier.

At least K positioned sensor at the REAR of the sump instead of the front of the engine as on many other bikes have............so when you accelerate hard the oil all goes to the back of the sump........your oil light comes on...........stuff that heart attacks are made of !!!!

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds