Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New Member-1979 KZ1300 Project Bike 10 years 5 months ago #22

• Bob4717
  • Bob4717's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

My name is Bob, I was on the old site. I have a 1979 KZ1300 project bike. I acquired a basket case this past spring. It was missing quite a bit of stuff. I've been gathering parts since then and I figure I have about 75% so far. The motor is pretty much all there, but all apart. I know I'm going to need new crank bearings and rod bearings. I've painted the frame and started rebuilding the front end. I had H1's, H2's, and a couple Z1's back in the day. This is my first 6. Looking forward to getting my questions answered as I continue. Thanks in advance!! Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Member-1979 KZ1300 Project Bike 10 years 5 months ago #23

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Welcome to KZ1300 Bob!

I'm sure you already have one, if not, I have all the factory manuals for the 1300's online. I've just got to figure out how to make them available for download.

Welcome aboard!

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

New Member-1979 KZ1300 Project Bike 10 years 5 months ago #311

• rob
  • Thank you received: 12
hi
If you need any help i will try to give you as much assistance as i can from my end. firstly if you have the crancase split be carefull of the shims on the gear shaft drive and final drive shaft, especially when re asembeling the the crankcase. make sure you use the origional o rings at the bottom of the barrels (base gasket, red o rings). Let me know if there is anything else you would like to know.

New Member-1979 KZ1300 Project Bike 10 years 5 months ago #323

• Metric_454
  • Thank you received: 6
Bob,

Welcome back.

We are about in the same boat. I picked up a 1980 recently. Planning / Hopping it'll be ready to ride come spring time.
No matter where you go, there you are.

New Member-1979 KZ1300 Project Bike 10 years 5 months ago #352

• Bob4717
  • Bob4717's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Rob, thanks for the offer of help. Right now I am getting everything gathered up to assemble the motor. As I mentioned this was really a basket case project when I got started. It had been broken up for parts, I got the frame with title and matching cases along with about 50% of the bike. I got the original crank and rods and what looks like all the case insides. It has no bottom end bearings nor crank bearings. I am washing the cases, cleaning off gasket surfaces and trying to sort the parts I do have. I am checking prices for the bearing inserts and am looking for any recommendations for a complete gasket and seal set. Any leads on that? I have put together a few bikes out of boxes before (like a Norton Commando and a few old Triumphs); but those are nothing compared to the complications of one of these; so I am working slow and steady as time and budget permit.

Thanks! Bob

New Member-1979 KZ1300 Project Bike 10 years 4 months ago #382

• rob
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi Bob
I would recommend these guys for all your spares.(z1300 die legende) They have the most comprehensive selection of spares and it is a one stop shop. They are a bit pricey but goods from germany are of top quality. You may surf the net but frustration sets in and sometimes it is best to bite the bullet and just go for the one stop shop. I have seen some good gasket sets on ebay and have used the Vesrah kits myself without any problems. If you look on ebay you also find bore piston kits for around $250,00. I have fitted one of these kits to one of my bikes and it has made a big difference on performance. Another thing i did was replace the primary, secondary and timing chain (one piece timing chain, replaced the timing gear and rubber roller then fitted the zzr timing chain tensioner. Besides the usual clutch noise the bike now runs ultra quiet and sounds like a new motor. All in all money well spent as now the bike will outlast me and move on down to my son Ha! Ha!.
Carburetor kits are also cheap on ebay and worth it but give up on using the choke mechanisims that come with these kits, they will not fit. I would follow the manual and note all the bolts, nuts that require locktite.
Happy building, i do have some photos for you if like (motor opened up)
Cheers
Rob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds