TOPIC:

Full Top End Overhaul Z1300 10 years 5 months ago #344

• strate6
  • strate6's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
I have stripped my whole top end down to the crankcases to carry out a full overhaul over this winter.

The top end had a slight "tick" when running which turned out to be the top of a valve guide had snapped on number 5 cylinder.
Also the lower rubber guide wheel on the camchain tensioner had failed & the bearing was seized so its been worth doing the job just to find those 2 problems already.
I also intend to hone the cylinder bores & fit new standard rings & re-grind the valves & replace valve guide oil seals & Water pump seal & mechanical seals.
Basically its a full overhaul which I am now well into.

Cylinder Head & Block on the bench

Cylinder block now fully cleaned & prepared & liners honed.

The "offending" Tensioner wheel which seized & failed. Interested to know if anyone else has had this issue as its the first I have ever had or heard of ?????

The bike had covered 30,000 miles at strip point & the bores were well within service limits but the rings were 0.5mm less than service limit so I am hoping this was why it liked using oil at high revs. I would imagine it is & have heard the rings on early 1300's had issues on some batches of bikes.
Hopefully new rings & valve seals will help its drinking habits !

Pete
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by strate6.

Full Top End Overhaul Z1300 10 years 5 months ago #345

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Very Nice Pete! Keep the pictures coming.

I'm looking forward to seeing it go back together.

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Full Top End Overhaul Z1300 10 years 5 months ago #383

• rob
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi State 6
I bought one and after fiddling around got p#!*^d off with thing and stripped it down just like you have. Stuff the standard pistons, bought a big ore kit on ebay for about $250 and what a difference. I would recommend you go for this.
As for your rubber roller, well mine did not exist and the chain was running directly on the bearing, found the remains in the sump. Remember to change the nylon timing gear and fit the zzr tensioner.
Check the photo with new roller next to what was left of the origional one.
Cheers
Rob
Attachments:

Full Top End Overhaul Z1300 10 years 5 months ago #385

• Dinosaur
  • Loving them for 35years.
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi strate6.some years ago a guy here in ZA used Honda 750 rings on the std 1300 pistons.which involved machining of the piston grooves as the Honda rings are thicker than the Kawa rings.The modification worked very well and I know of one particular bike that has done some 25000 kilo's without problems.Just for interest's sake!Good luck with the rebuild
Paul

Full Top End Overhaul Z1300 10 years 5 months ago #386

• strate6
  • strate6's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
This is all brilliant stuff.........in particular the Honda rings.......very interesting. This proves the value of a great forum like this.
I have already bought a set of Non K Standard rings that were made by a performance company in Japan.
The pistons look fine & are well within wear limits so ok.
If this rebuild does not solve oil burning, its Big Bore Kit for me too !

Rob,
The FIRST job I do on any 1300 is the CCT (zzr1100 type) as have seen the results of not doing it.
New nylon gear all ready to go in along with rubber wheel (very bad design) but no alternative.

Pete
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Full Top End Overhaul Z1300 10 years 5 months ago #389

• Mikez
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Been considering having a look at the rubber/nylon stuff inside my motor to see where I stand. How hard was this stuff to get at? I'd hate to have to pull the motor that thing looks quite heavy lol.

Last edit: by Mikez.
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds