Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

New member from Northern Nevada, U.S.A. 7 years 2 days ago #15983

• usakz1300
  • usakz1300's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 68
Brand new here, from the States, Name is Dave, and I am one of the original Team Kawasaki U.S.A. Road Race tuners, worked for Yvon DuHamel in the early 1970's, with Steve Whitelock. I have had my own retail motorcycle store and repair for many years, first in Santa Ana, California, then Merced, California, now, in Yerington, Nevada (80 miles south east of Reno). I still work in the industry, and have 4+ decades of experience on 2 and 4 stroke, street and race bikes.

I also have a collection of all sorts of older motorcycles. I street ride a 1980 KZ1300, a European EFI KZ1000H model, a Yamaha SR500 Street Thumper, Honda GL650 V Twin, a rather hot rodded RZ500 Yamaha V4 that has been 'altered' to 700cc's, and, a street converted Kawasaki H2R triple two stroke factory racer bike.

I also have a bunch of other bikes in the collection, from two early 1911 HD board trackers, to a Rotary Suzuki, and a lot of stuff in between. I am in the process of doing a ring/cam chain tensioner roller change on my KZ1300 right now, and repainting it red (it has been black for 30 years), so I have to get going on it, to be able to ride it this summer here.

There is one bike on the main page on this sight that has later green hot rod street bike body work, different front end, VERY NICE, as are all the bikes I saw there.
The topic has been locked.

New member from Northern Nevada, U.S.A. 7 years 2 days ago #15986

• Craig
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 43
Welcome to the forum. Good bunch of folk here always willing to assist a fellow 13'er.

New member from Northern Nevada, U.S.A. 7 years 2 days ago #15989

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
welcome to the site from the Canadian branch. Would love to see some pics of your rides, especially the H2R converted. RZ700 eh! Nice. And the RE5 rotary. Always had a soft spot for the Wankels. I'll Never forget the days watching DuHamel racing at Mosport which is 30 minutes from my house. I also seem to recall his snowmobile racing at Kawartha Cup in Peterborough Ontario again 30 minuuted from my house. I can smell the Klotz now. Where's my H2 ? Shit, sold it. It's 6:30 am and you got my blood boiling. Thanks :woohoo:

You mentioned the Green machine on the home page. It's the creation of Robert Bolduc, a French Canadian. He married a KZ1300 to a ZRX1200 with some very interesting work. Here's a link to his thread on the bike kz1300.com/index.php/forum/daily-chatter...-s-1300?limitstart=0

Attachments:
Last edit: by Kawboy.

New member from Northern Nevada, U.S.A. 7 years 23 hours ago #16009

• usakz1300
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
That is one very sweet bike, for sure.

I am also working on an engine that will be in the 1700 cc range, big bore, stroker. Not many people know that the 1300 and 650 inline 4 pistons only vary from the upper ring dimensions, which means, the KZ750 pistons, with special sleeves, would make an almost drop in big bore kit. I used to live a mile and a half from Los Angeles Sleeve, have known those people all my life, sleeves are not a problem. Now, if there was enough room to install a bigger sleeve, or, possibly a siamezed sleeve set per side, then, a KZ750 big bore piston set and a half, would bring the bores out 8mm, instead of the stock KZ750 additional 4mm O/S.

A more significant issue is the rods and stroker crank. Crank is easily welded, then returned the increased stroke, but, the rods need a bit of thought, as the reason the stockers do not split at their horizontal center, as other rods do, is to clear internal components.

I am working on it.

New member from Northern Nevada, U.S.A. 7 years 22 hours ago #16010

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027

usakz1300 wrote: That is one very sweet bike, for sure.

I am also working on an engine that will be in the 1700 cc range, big bore, stroker. Not many people know that the 1300 and 650 inline 4 pistons only vary from the upper ring dimensions, which means, the KZ750 pistons, with special sleeves, would make an almost drop in big bore kit. I used to live a mile and a half from Los Angeles Sleeve, have known those people all my life, sleeves are not a problem. Now, if there was enough room to install a bigger sleeve, or, possibly a siamezed sleeve set per side, then, a KZ750 big bore piston set and a half, would bring the bores out 8mm, instead of the stock KZ750 additional 4mm O/S.

A more significant issue is the rods and stroker crank. Crank is easily welded, then returned the increased stroke, but, the rods need a bit of thought, as the reason the stockers do not split at their horizontal center, as other rods do, is to clear internal components.

I am working on it.

Looking forward to what you come up with. Curious as to what you will weld the crank up with. I want to build up a camshaft and regrind to a new spec. Thinking of using stellite 6 rod. Thoughts??
Last edit: by Kawboy.

New member from Northern Nevada, U.S.A. 7 years 13 hours ago #16022

• usakz1300
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
NO, no dry welding.

The ONLY way to add metal to a crank is by a method that flows liquid fluid flux onto the crank as it is being welded. This way, heat, warping, filling are all done correctly. The 1300 cranks are steel, so, they weld well, when done right. Here in the states, we have any number of performance shops that can do this service, they are geared to cars, but, now, all the welding units are computer driven, put the right info in, get the nice job out the other end. The wet weld process should work on steel cams as well.

I don't know of anything newer than that wet welding process.

Think about an 8mm over bore, 6mm stroker, with a bit of judicious work, it should work. Extra plate clutch, and a nice 6 speed transmission, sequential DFI, even better.
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds