Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Missing two cylinders. 7 years 3 months ago #15276

• McZed
  • McZed's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
Ok, I know it’s not a 13 but it is a Kawasaki. This is a bike I have been working on for the past few months, I bought it as a non runner but the person I bought it from assured me it just needed the starter motor fixed and it would be as good as new. It’s been a challenge but I’m almost there. On first inspection it’s obviously had a fair bit of money spent on it, the frame’s been powder coated, it’s got new Hagon shocks and it has an oil cooler fitted. First thing was to see if I could get it started, so I set about fixing the starter motor. Turns out it was the starter clutch, it was then I discovered someone had removed the flywheel using the mash hammer method and in the process had broken the magnets for the stator. I stripped the carbs and one of the posts that hold the float pivot was snapped off, so it was never going to run. Fixed all these issues and I was finally poised to see how it would run. Started up after a few turns but really needed the carbs adjusted, it was then I discovered it seemed to have a third exhaust which exited from somewhere under the fuel tank. It has some kind of air system that is peculiar to American models; it takes air from the filter box to the back of the exhaust valves and it has two sets of reed valves fitted so the airflow only goes one way, the reed valves on mine had been fitted upside down so it was blowing exhaust gas into the air filter, the previous owner simply disconnected this hose and shoved it under the fuel tank. Some people shouldn’t be allowed to touch tools!
I have finally got it running and I still think it’s been a good buy, it sounds sweet and everything works as it should, and on the motorway it goes like a train. It’s not as smooth as the 13 and it doesn’t have the same low down torque but it’s still a lot of fun to ride. I am going to leave it more or less as it is now as I intend to use it during the winter time. They salt the roads in Scotland so there’s no way I’m going to use the 1300. I’ve posted a few photos, as I said, it’s not a 1300 but I hope some of you will be interested.

This is the repair I did on the carb, being a Scotsman I was trying to save the cost of a replacement.

Z1300 UK
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Missing two cylinders. 7 years 3 months ago #15277

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
As the saying goes "necessity is the mother of invention" Nice recovery. Can't imagine how any one could break off the post. And I love the fact that you remained true to your heritage. Maybe by the grace of God a carb body will show up on your door step. Who knows. :whistle:

Post note- We love any and all restorations. It's what we do. We'd have nothing to talk about if we all rode new machines. How boring would that be??

Looking forward to seeing where you take it !!

KB

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Missing two cylinders. 7 years 3 months ago #15279

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Good work McZed: I've a soft spot for the big capacity Z/KZ & GPZ air cooled bikes.
Always nice to see a neglected old girl being given some TLC and put back on the road.

Cheers Tim
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.

Missing two cylinders. 7 years 3 months ago #15280

• zoso
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20
Lovely looking bike.
I had a Z1000 LTD I sold about 6 years ago which is more or less the same. Great bike to ride and the z1000 engine is bulletproof.
Much too nice a bike to use in the winter IMO :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds