Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC:

sixer newby 7 years 6 months ago #14492

• dogfight
  • dogfight's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Ok, so the first thing I'm going to have to learn is how to navigate this site.
How new am I? Well I'm picking up my '82 kz1300 about 1500 miles from here and riding it home to Ontario, Canada. Never ridden one before but looking forward to the trip. I build and ride all kinds of bikes across the so- called cultural lines in motorcycling. For instance I've recently completed a '71 Norton Commando, am currently building a Harley Softail custom for myself and a Kawisaki 440 for a friend and my daily ride is a R1150 GS Beemer. I like to wear a Harley shirt when I ride my Beemer and I'm looking for a Beemer shirt for when I ride my Harley.
I've been building ever since my first bike, a 500 Tiger and that was about 46 years ago.
So why a sixer? Well, it's one of the bikes that I lusted after back when I was too broke to afford one and now I can so why not? One of the great things about motorcycles is that they don't have to make sense.
Have you ever had that conversation with a non rider who asks you to explain why you would risk life and limb to ride?
There is no way to tell them. Either you get it or you don't.
Well that "explains" my mania for bikes of all kinds. I never want to get stuck on any one type or brand or "lifestyle" as they say now.
Gotta say though that the six has an exhaust note that really stirs the juices and maybe that's enough reason right there.
As I say I haven't even sat on it yet or met the owner in person but after some bike talk on the phone he offered to keep it for me without a deposit as he said, "You sound like an old bike guy so I know you'll come and get it." How's that for
old school?
Now I've got some questions for you guys. First, is there a rally specifically for the kz1300s 'cause I'll definitely show up just to hear the sound of a pack of them. And second, has anyone or does anyone run one at the Bonneville speed event? If not I might just do a Burt Munro and show up there just to see how fast she'll really go.
So I guess you've got some idea of what this old spoke is about. I may be old and rusty and a little bent but I still go 'round the axel.
Cheers Guys.
Tim.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

sixer newby 7 years 6 months ago #14495

• dcarver220b
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 181
Hi Tim,

Welcome! I have 10 across-spectrum bikes. I get it.

..and a sixer rally sounds great!

Build it and we will come! ;)

sixer newby 7 years 6 months ago #14498

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Welcome to the big six club!

I too have had many bikes across the spectrum. Even had a Goldwing for a few years. Lots of jap sport bikes, new and old.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dogfight

sixer newby 7 years 6 months ago #14499

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
" Dogfight" Eh?? Wears a Harley shirt when riding a Beemer and wants to find a Beemer shirts for when he rides the Harley. Definately a Rebel with a Cause. Welcome aboard!! You're right where you belong amonst this set of rebels. Let me guess- had a couple of Kawasaki Triples?? Spent a lot of time with the front wheel up in the air?? The thought of riding a turbo Hyabusa just might get you to put down the beer and strap on the helmet?? I know EXACTLY where you're at. And an Ontario boy to boot. TERRIFYING, 2 of us in the same province.

sixer newby 7 years 6 months ago #14501

• dogfight
  • dogfight's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
OK guys, what about it. Getting tired of Harley pirate days and Beemer GS ers with road tires?
I don't know where all you guys are located but I'm thinking just a little informal gathering in Ontario to start say at a local campground beside Georgian Bay with amazing local roads and a great beach to ride to? Oh wait a minute That would be the Scout camp just down the street from my house in Big Bay, Ontario! It's about 20 Km east of Wiarton on the south shore of Colpoys Bay.I'll look into it if I get enough interest, say like six other guys. The facilities are great; Central dining hall with huge kitchen and fireplace and heated bunkies and even flush toilets. This could be really great!
What say you all? I'll contact the camp tomorrow and let you know here what happens.
Dogfight

sixer newby 7 years 6 months ago #14508

• dcarver220b
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 181
Great! Can we do it December? :whistle:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds