Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

My Z1300 7 years 7 months ago #14486

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137

pkay wrote: Can anyone tell me if this is an original colour? If so what colour should the striping be?
Many thanks
PK

That looks like the KZ1300-B2 Touring red?
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My Z1300 7 years 7 months ago #14487

• BigSix
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 224
what^s your frame number ?

Holger

btw: Welcome
Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe

My Z1300 7 years 7 months ago #14488

• BigSix
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 224
The A5, according to my info, is either Luminous Passion Red with stripes in black and gold or Ebony with stripes in red and gold. Just check the frame and engine number to be sure.

regards

Holger
Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe

Last edit: by BigSix.

My Z1300 7 years 7 months ago #14502

• pkay
  • pkay's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks Guys
I checked the framne number against another post where frame's were being discussed. It's in the mid 15000's from memory. I like the black with orange etc stripe like the other photos. The plastics haven't been resprayed so I suspect they have been sourced off another bike somewhere along the way. Must dig the old bird out the garage and give her some love. And the bike too I guess........

My Z1300 7 years 7 months ago #14506

• dcarver220b
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 181
Loving all these Sixers!

My Z1300 7 years 3 months ago #15281

• pkay
  • pkay's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Guys
Been off doing other bikes for a while but finally started on the Z - YAY!!!!!
I have removed all the paintwork so will be dropping that off to the painter very shortly - lovely shade of ebony on it's way!!
The side cover badge mount pins broke as I was getting them off - some dick had secured them by crushing a standard nut against the pins..... I see you can repro's in metal off ebay so probably do that. Also be ordering a set of the metal airbox covers (this is getting pricey huh!). I also want to get a rear grab bar - I think mine was removed to make way for a luggage rack that was on the bike when I bought it. I see you can get repro's of those as well.

The coolant tank looks a little dodgy as well but all the other ones I've seen look the same so may just have to live with a good clean up.

The wiring is full of those awful red and yellow insulated connectors so I will be working from rear to front to remove them. There si also quite a few wires not connected to stuff - I'll be spending some quiet time with the wiring diagram I suspect.

Dropped the oil which was heavily contaminated with fuel - I suspected the tap wasn't working which is one of the reasons I parked the bike to do a clean up. I might mount a second shut off in the fuel line for safety I think. I'll refresh the cooling system while I am at it too.

The main issue at the moment is that the fuel level sender unit from the tank has had a bodge connector clamped to it which has damaged the connection beyond repair I think. So I am trying to source one of these - seems like it was unique to the A4/A5 models - is this correct? My cross ref checks have turned up a blank so far.

Brakes and tyres will also get done - I'll put a set of braided lines on the bike and redo the callipers. I'll give the wheels a good clean while they are off and check the wheel bearings over while I am at it.

Last challenge will be the exhaust - I see the 6-2 system on KZ1300.com which looks tempting. I have a set of original mufflers and covers that I want to use. I see this system uses the rear covers but not the long ones that cover the collector box. Anyone used one of these systems? A local company pipemasters said they can make a header set for the bike but I doubt they could do it for the same price.

Any tips on traps for newbies wuld be gratelky appreciated.
Cheers
PK

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds